Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note on my 1911 production 1908 it has the screw opposite the safety:

Note this Gunboker listing of one made in 1911 that is only 820 later in serial number and the screw has been deleted.
Perhaps this is common knowledge, I don't know, but I'm assuming 1911 was the year the screw went away. Is this true for the 1903s as well?

COLT 1908 380 EARLY HIGH POLISH BLUE 1911 : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also note the price...$600 and the reserve hasn't been hit yet. I got mine at Cabelas two years ago for $465 and it is in better condition.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Can't say anything about the timing of the screw, but just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for posting the photo. I really love seeing that old fire blue and you've taken a great photo showing it on yours.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my 03's made in 06, 07 and 08 have the screws. My 03's made in 22, 23, 25 don't. My 08's made in 13 and 14 don't.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
The screw on the thumb safety first appears on the 1903's about s/n 8000 in 1904.
It disappears on the 1903's about May of 1911.

The 380 Hamerless's had the screw from the beginning until about the same time
as the 32's lost them in 1911. There was some delay and mixing of parts in finial
assembly so you may find some variation in the end date of the Thumb safety screw.
Personally I wish Colt would have kept it.

(Brunners book one page 19)

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't say anything about the timing of the screw, but just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for posting the photo. I really love seeing that old fire blue and you've taken a great photo showing it on yours.
Thanks, the fire blue really "pops" it certain lighting.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
I like the pre-1911 hammerless because they still have the seperate
barrel bushing and thumb safety screw.

It's nice to find them with the fire-blue finish in good condition.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow what a beautiful group of model m colts. Treasures from a time when an american company and their craftsmen produced the highest quality automatic pistols on earth!. I have added several to my humble colt collection in the last year.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,949 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts