Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
In the late 1960s when there were riots at somewhat regular intervals for a variety of "social" causes (read that as looting for its own sake)...my uncle had a store in Augusta, GA. He warned any potential looters when they neared his store's location that he wouldn't allow any looting of his property that he worked for. One apparently didn't care and broke in...when he did my uncle shot him in the hindquarters. He had no further trouble with looting in his store and nothing happened to him legally. Today there would likely be a very different ending...he'd be criminally charged and sued civilly by the offender.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I was fully expecting to read about ATF's new rules for impenetrable shop windows and bank vault gun storage, so I was pleasantly surprised to see what their reaction actually was. For once they can say "We're from the government, and we're here to help" :cool:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A gun store owner in wichita falls shot 2 guys attempting to rob him. He didn't even have to go to court. The main issue here was the stores were empty.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I keep hearing you cant shoot someone in the act of stealing your stuff. Is this BS? I lived in California many years. Likely we are told California being liberal, is probably the most "tolerant" or safest place for a thief, Right? Then how come I once walked into a gun shop and the owner showed me his still blood stained floor from either that morning or the prior day where he killed a holdup man leaving? This was many years ago, but I am of the type that doesn't automatically swallow all the standard tales automatically given as warnings of shooting looters. Yes, we all have seen the video`s of looters during riots stealing stuff out of the stores en mass with sometimes even the police watching helplessly due to the mass of looters involved. Yet I would like to see what really would happen were the owner to open up on them and shoot a half dozen or so while even tv news cameras were filming it. I bet there would be a massive protest of honest citizens to where the DA wouldn't prosecute the store owner. During the watts riot in the Korean section that's just what the store owners did and I don't believe ANY were prosecuted.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You would think these stores would get better cameras and position them accordingly. You can get decent cameras for under $100 these days. There have been a couple of gun store break-ins locally and the only video they release is grainy black and white shots.

Thankfully criminals are stupid and do stupid things on a regular basis. In Houston have already recovered a number of guns just from doing traffic stops and for other minor infractions. Same thing with the local break-ins. People get pulled over for minor stuff or they turn around and immediately try and sell the gun and get caught.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
In many, if not most jurisdictions, you can only use lethal force in defense of yourself or another...not in defense of property. The general exception is arson...if someone is about to burn your house down there's often a legal assumption it can injure or kill anyone inside or trying to perform rescue or trying to put the fire out. Again...that's not an absolute. You need to check with an attorney fluent in self-defense law in your jurisdiction. A forcible in-progress rape is often a justifiable use of deadly force.

Even if you're within the law, all it takes is a State's Attorney or District Attorney who is anti-gun or on some social justice crusade or simply wants to make a name for himself in a run for higher political office which can make life miserable for you and ruin you financially.

Reactions: SBH

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I hired in to Lockheed Burbank as a security guard early 1965. At the time only a few higher security posts were armed. The Watts riot broke out the night of August 11. When I went to work on the 12th we doubled up at the gates. I was working with a new guy I hadn't met.
Our captain drove up and told us he was arming everyone but had just ran out of guns. I remarked I wasn't worried about it. He says, are you packing? Go get your gun`s. I went to my truck, Bill my new friend went to his, and we both came back with what looked like matching guns. Bill had a 6" model 357 and I a 6" OMM. Our dept stayed armed after that until I retired in 2,000.
I recall changing cloths, stopping in to a bar I had never been in when I got off at midnight the 11th. The bar was solid packed black save one female. A black girl had something against her and dove at her with a broken glass. I was in arms reach, grabbed her arm and took the glass. To ease the tension I bought both a drink and soon as everyone quit staring at me, sneaked out. Outside the same black girl had broke the glass and was sharping it on the stone wall of the bar named "The witch`s den"! I fired up my truck and left as I heard the first report on the radio of a riot starting up in Watts!
The other guard Bill and I became best friends. He died about seven years ago. Prior to meeting him he was a cop in another S. Calif city. He had walked into a store in Uniform, it was being held up by a black youth that Bill didn't see, who shot Bill through his upper left arm near the shoulder. Bill said he automatically drew and killed him but said it happened so fast he couldn't remember actually shooting. Bills arm was next to useless so his new job was with me. He was one of those type you never forget. When he was young he was a ringer for Hugh O`brian. He claimed he once beat O`brian at a shoot up at Big Bear in the 1950`s. Just remembering.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
In many, if not most jurisdictions, you can only use lethal force in defense of yourself or another...not in defense of property. The general exception is arson...if someone is about to burn your house down there's often a legal assumption it can injure or kill anyone inside or trying to perform rescue or trying to put the fire out. Again...that's not an absolute. You need to check with an attorney fluent in self-defense law in your jurisdiction. A forcible in-progress rape is often a justifiable use of deadly force.

Even if you're within the law, all it takes is a State's Attorney or District Attorney who is anti-gun or on some social justice crusade or simply wants to make a name for himself in a run for higher political office which can make life miserable for you and ruin you financially.
That's right, there needs to be a threat in order to shoot. I don't think you can even use a gun in a citizen's arrest (unless the perp threatens you with bodily harm), even though I know that the police has looked the other way in some cases.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have been in one of those "sometimes" case`s and skated. I didn't fire my gun but held two guys for the police right in down town Los Angeles. Guess I was just lucky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts