Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 Colt revolvers. An Agent, a Cobra and a Lawman MkIII.

The Agent and Cobra have an interesting condition
After pulling the trigger, if I VERY slowly release the trigger, just before it is back in position, I can feel 2 clicks one after the other
If I stop at the first click, the gun will completely lock up and stay locked, until the trigger is fully released.
Yet on the Lawman, releasing the trigger is so smooth, that there is only the one click of the trigger re-setting and it's NOT possible to lock it up.

What is happening to the Agent and the Cobra, that they have these 2 clicks instead of one. And if you pull on the trigger between the 2 clicks, the guns lock up ?
I carry these 2 regularly, but I have sidelined them until I understand what is happening, and hopefully eliminate the lock-up if the trigger is pulled too soon.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I just checked this on my Cobra, Detective Spec. and Police Positive Spec. and all three have the 2 clicks if I release very slow. I can only assume this is normal, as I wouldn't release that slow for any good reason. But yes they did lock up. I think thats just the way they cycle.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
The Agent and Cobra actions are different from the MkIII. When releasing the Agent or Cobra trigger, you might hear the sear flicking the hammer strut, the bolt tip resetting to the top of the rebound cam and the hammer rebounding. If you do not fully release the trigger, the action is not reset and ready to cycle again. That is operator error not gun malfunction. In the MkIII, you might hear the flick of the strut and the hammer tip returning past the bolt, which moves forward out of the way and snaps back. Even the MkIII requires the trigger to be released in order to cycle again properly. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I know that you have to release the trigger completely for it to properly reset.
It's just that I was firing double taps on the Cobra, and the pistol had shifted slightly and consequently the trigger got trapped on the first click and didn't reset completely.

I was afraid that I had 2 triggers that needed fixing.
Particularly, when I tried it on the LAWMAN as well as my Smiths with no reproduction of the problem.

Knowing about it, made me more aware of doing proper trigger release.

But if that's the way the trigger is, I can adjust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts