Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got this interesting WWII combat knife. It is made from a Japanese bayonet.
5F5AF2F7-1390-4412-9730-E9DC0D577310.jpeg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,743 Posts
I used to collect American military knives, and the collecting of "expedient" combat knives is a field all it's own.

American military personnel were "knife crazy" and everyone wanted some sort of blade to take overseas.
Since usually only actual combat troops were issued a knife, many troops made or bought their own.

Vast numbers of weapons/tools were made from just about anything from truck springs to old US sabers.
Many were made from enemy bayonets and whatever could be found.
Quality ranged from exceptional to crude. As long as it could cut or stab.
Most every soldier wanted a pistol but since they were not usually to be had, everyone got themselves some sort of knife.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
In the Pacific, Seabees and the Navy machinsts could produce knives fairly easily - and did.

They had access to the machine shops that Army and Marines didn't, and many a knife was made up to trade when the main fighting was done and the lust for souvenirs arose.

During WWII, thousands of Patton Sabers were cut into thirds and sold, so a knife could be made, and many were made to be gifted to fighting men on both sides of the globe.

A fighting knife is one of the only truly 'personal' weapons - small arms being ubiquitous - and Vietnam saw the rise of the custom-made knife, with blades being made by Randall, Ruana, Cooper, Morseth and others - to name but a few.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
When I was a Seabee, we were issued the U.S. Navy Kbar knives in the grey fiberglass (I think) sheath. I liked it enough that I "liberated" it from Uncle Sam along with a brass belaying pin from the LST we rode to Diego Garcia. The only other thing I kept for a while was a set of Jungle boots but they finally wore out.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
My first real knife....which I then lost some time in my 30s and have since replaced. My parents figured at least couldn't fall on it and die while in the scabbard :)

A copy of my Dad's issue knife that I lusted over and was never allowed to use.

1593921714555.png

Life could have been so easy :)

And what I eventually bought myself...

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
I carried a Model 1 Randall Fighting Knife (similar to Cozmo's but with a stainless blade and black linen micarta handle) for decades - it's resting on a shelf at the moment.

I sold my first one - a Model 14 'Airman' - to my medic, and he took possession after mine arrived from Florida - back then, an APO really sped up the process...

We both still have them - though mine's seen far more of the globe than his has.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Hard to get anything that balances better than a #1 without a butt cap :) Although not as useful maybe a 7" #2?

This Ben Baker design, was given to me by a very good friend. But come on, it sure looks like a crudely made Randall to me :) I was truly honored by the gift but had to make sure it went to the right place. His oldest son has it now. I made the original owner a duplicate of his issue knife, and stuck it in a Randall sheath, which he now carries in a go bag with a Glock 19.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My dad bought this either while attending aerial gunnery school in Laredo TX or Navigator school in Hondo TX in 1944 and carried it while serving on a B-24 out of an airfield in Italy. It somewhat resembles a Fairbairn-Sykes stiletto. The handle was originally some type of horn, probably steer but was eaten by insects and crumbled away. I replaced it with a piece of mule deer antler from a buck that I shot.
I don't know if he was issued any kind of knife, this one doesn't look like it would be much good at cutting parachute lines or as a survival knife during escape and evasion if the need arose. But it sure could do some damage if you needed to ventilate a Nazi.
Mexican Stiletto 1.jpg
Mexican Stilleto 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The org. fighting knife [M3 trench knife] was issued in WW-2, when the M1 carbine graduated to a front line weapon in mid war it was requested that it be equip'ed with a bayonet, the M3 trench knife was mod. into a bayonet for the carbine, the M4 bayonet, the 1st M4's had a leather handle, later on in Korea and Vietnam it was changed to a plastic handle, not to be confused with the bayonet for the M-16.

A lot of people claim the leather handle m4 bayonet was never used in WW-2 as it came out to late in the war. that is not true, esp. in the P/T.
Here's a few pic's of my carbine bayonets, one is the early M4 WW-2 era made from the M3 trench knife [fighting knife]. the other is also a M4 but with a plastic handle for Korea/Vietnam on the M1 carbine DSC02372.JPG DSC02378.JPG

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
This wasn't made as a combat knife but was made during WWII. My dad made this when he was a machinist in the "Big Gun Shop" at the Washington Navy Yard. He made it from scrap parts plus a worn out file blade so I imagine it's probably on the brittle side and not good for real combat use. He told me what each part of the handle is made from but I don't remember all...it does have aluminum, leather, micarta and I don't know what else in it.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I recently got this interesting WWII combat knife. It is made from a Japanese bayonet. View attachment 704278
I love that knife! Any chance you got its' previous history with it? Almost looks like there could be a name on the sheath.
Since we're showing knives, here is my Uncle Bob Blands knife he carried as a crew chief with the 374th Fighter Squadron during WW2. Looks like the old Kinfolks
knife started to unravel on him but having ready access to tools, scrap and skilled help, he rewound the leather scabbard with what looks like copper wire and redid the pommel. The blade is stained but still sharp, tight and in good shape!
Kim
Bob Bland knife (1).jpg
Bob Bland knife (2).jpg
Bob Bland knife (3).jpg
Bob Bland knife (4).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I was watching a D-day documentary and noticed this GI.. He was the only guy wearing this.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
You'll see ETO guys with HJ daggers, Wehrmacht trench knives and various German hunting knives - all of which offered more utility than the M1 Bayonet for odds and ends.

PTO guys had Ka-Bars and USN Mk1s in large part, but hunting knives will show up - you'll see a belt knife on more of them than you will in photos of the ETO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts