Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The snubby collection is expanding. I swore I was not getting any more Colts. :bang_wall:

Below are pictures of a 1942 Colt Commando. All markings are consistant with a early Commando that was factory re-barreled toward the the end of WWII per Charles Pate. The revolver is in decent condition and most of the parkerizing is still there.

It is an interesting WWII revolver.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I like it, Elliot. I think you said you paid a reasonable price for it?
It appears to have some noticeable tool impressions at the back end of the exposed portion of the barrel. I wonder if that was caused by whatever tools are used in a barrel change? I want to say a barrel vise, but that's M-16 terminology and I don't know if that is apt. It makes me wonder if this barrel was actually changed by Colt or not. I would be surprised if a company worker would leave marks like that.
I hope you don't feel I'm beating you up about this! I'm just trying to learn. I really wouldn't mind having one of these at all, whether a rare war 2" version or a rebarreled post war version. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Malysh, I knew what I was getting into with this Snub. I did some research first for a change. :)

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
It's actually pretty cool looking. I'd be tempted to call Colt's and ask the year of build and then consider lettering it.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Colt-SL, I have a message into Colt to see if they kept track of re-barreled WWII stuff. If they did, I will get it lettered. :) Colt did confirm that it was manufactured in 1942. They did have me confirm the Ordanance Bomb and Proof Mark and it is in the correct location. Pictures below:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I really like it...

What was their ( Colt's? Or The Military? ) reason for re-Barreling these into 2 Inchers?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
regardless of it being rebarreled, that is a nice revolver that i'd love to own! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like it...

What was their ( Colt's? Or The Military? ) reason for re-Barreling these into 2 Inchers?
I have not found an answer for why, maybe because General Dwight D. Eisenhower carried and liked them. Who knows?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just a point:

The name "Colt's Mfg. Co." that is stamped on the barrel did not come into existence until 1947 when the company was sold following WWll. Prior to that the company was "Colt's Pt.FA.Mfg.Co" (abbreviation). That simply means the barrel on the gun dates from sometime between 1947 and 1955 when the name was again changed back to the original.

I agree with the others, still a neat gun even with the re-barrel. :D

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a point:

The name "Colt's Mfg. Co." that is stamped on the barrel did not come into existence until 1947 when the company was sold following WWll. Prior to that the company was "Colt's Pt.FA.Mfg.Co" (abbreviation). That simply means the barrel on the gun dates from sometime between 1947 and 1955 when the name was again changed back to the original.
Thank you for your spot on observation. Yes you are correct. According to Charles Pate, US handguns of WW2 on the subject of the re-barreled (after WWII) 2" Commandos: "These revolvers have the later ramp sight and either theshort company name ("COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.") from the early postwarperiod, or the long name ("COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT U.S.A.")using "CT" for Connecticut."

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
neat little gun!

so how did you come across it?
When you have OCD for Colt revolver snubs, and have the normal stuff, Python, DB, Agent, Cobra's, DS's and Lawman, you have to start reaching out.. :)

more to come on that subject..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Congratulations on a very interesting acquisition, and thanks for posting the detailed photos.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Thank you for your spot on observation. Yes you are correct. According to Charles Pate, US handguns of WW2 on the subject of the re-barreled (after WWII) 2" Commandos: "These revolvers have the later ramp sight and either theshort company name ("COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.") from the early postwarperiod, or the long name ("COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT U.S.A.")using "CT" for Connecticut."
Sorry, I need to correct a minor point here. The CT abbreviation is found on the later barrels. The state abbreviation below the long-form company name on the wartime barrels is CONN

1 - 17 of 17 Posts