Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone tell me for certain what year Colt introduced the red ramp front sight on the Python ?

And was it done at the same time for both the 4" and 6" barrel ?

Thank you,

SA50

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I'm surprised no one has answered your question. Without being a Python person - I actually don't have any to drag out of the safe as a reference - I will offer some information. The 1982 catalog lists only Colt blue and nickel Pythons and neither shows nor mentions red inserts for the front sight. It does introduce ColtGuard on the Python but doesn't happen to show the front sight in the illustration. However, a pamphlet/flyer dated 1982 adds stainless steel as an available finish and the SS Python is illustrated with a red ramp insert. A 1984 catalog/pamphlet drops ColtGuard as a listed finish and shows the same SS Python illustration with the red ramp, but there is no specific mention of the red ramp in any of these publications. I know this is not definitive, but perhaps it will at least bump it to the top for more attention. :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I am asking is that I recently found for sale a 6" Royal Blue Python with an "E" Serial Number suffix, which I believe to be 1975 era.

The Python has a red ramp front sight, which I do not think to be original to a 1975 era Python.

I am dissapointed, as I am looking for a NIB condition python, and this one appears to be altered.

However, in California, beggars cant be choosers !

Can anyone tell me if a red ramp was option in 1975 in hopes that I could be original ???

·
Registered
794 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone tell me if a red ramp was option in 1975 in hopes that I could be original ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry SA50, not in 1975.

If it really bothers you, purchase another front ramp without the insert. This small detraction alone should not dissuade you from purchasing this gun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Python that was originally a 6",1978 vintage.Returned to custom shop in early 1982 to have 8" barrel installed.Old barrel came back with original sight intact along with original rear sight.8" barrel had red ramp front and white outline rear.Both fronts are two pin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Intro Date for Python One Pin Front Sight ?

On the same note. Does anyone know when the 2 pin front sight was dropped on the Python and Colt started to use the 1 pin front sight? Thanks in advance for you reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts