Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a line on a blued 3" Police Positive in .32 caliber. Is that barrel length uncommon? The asking price is $499 so I thought I'd pass, but then thought I'd ask. In about 98% from what I'd guess. Black hard rubber grips, I didn't look at the serial number or even handle it.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
3" barrels are not particularly uncommon on Detective Specials and were a standard length for .22 caliber Cobras and I have a NIB 3" Cobra .32 so it's certainly likely a number of .32 3" Police Positives were made...but how many or few I can't say. I've never seen one. It's probably very uncommon if not outright rare. It may even be a pre-Detective Special piece.

If you look more into it, it would be interesting to know the serial number and when it was made. Maybe someone here would be interested in it if you decide to pass.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, maybe Cam will weigh in if it's worth a second look too.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have looked at it closer, or even taken pictures and gotten the serial number. My eyes usually notice the difference in cylinder length of a PPS vs a PP, I think it was a PP, but now I'm wondering.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that. It could have been 2.5. Sure wasn't 4", I have one of those. It looked distinctly shorter.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
If you are talking about a pre-war then yes, it's rare enough that I have never seen one. In pre-war Police Positive .32's I have a 2", 2 1/2," 3 1/2", 4", 5" & 6". I do not ever remember seeing a 3". They did offer them in the post war Police Positives.

I do have a Police Positive Special in .38 Special that has a 3" barrel. I have only encountered one other in my years of collecting.

If you can provide the serial number, or first few digits, it would be interesting to see what time period it dates to.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
Thanks for that. It could have been 2.5. Sure wasn't 4", I have one of those. It looked distinctly shorter.

The 2 1/2" is somewhat common and you may want to re-check to see it that is what it is. Certainly sounds more reasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts