Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Tulsa gun show I see at least a half a dozen of tables with table covers that say "Colt Collectors Assoc." Can a insider give me a inside scoop on your association? Send me a PM and discuss in private if you wish.

It seems that Colt Collectors Assoc. aren't much into double actions. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I have been considering joining the CCA but am wondering if there is much benefit. The magazine looks first rate. I know they do sponsor the annual Colt show, but I don't know if I will make it to Reno next year...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Addicted,

I am a member of the CCA ... I think there is quite a few CCA members who collect DA revolvers, it is not just for SAA collectors... in fact I would say that there is a strong collector representation of all of Colt's products.

As for the magazine, it is a good one in my opinion. The content is driven by member participation. Members write the articles that appear in the magazine. The Summer 2006 issue had articles on:

"Colts on the Home Front during World War II"
"The Civilian 1851 Colt Navy"
"Colt SAA Distribution: Trinidad - 1880s"
"Is This a real Colt Case?"
"FAKE" - By Jim Supica
"Is It Real" (Article on Fake Detection)
"New Discoveries - Lest we Forget"
"Art of Collecting - History or Mystery Part 3"
"2006 Auction and show update"

The Spring of 2006 issue contained the following articles:

"Colt Burgess carbine serial number 1"
"History of Colt's New service .45 Revolver"
"A Ranch Foreman's Colt"
The 1960 Colt Sheriff's Model - Second Generation"
"If it is too good to be true... "
"Colt Pins - A pictorial guide to collecting, Part 2"
"Lust and Murder in the Australia Outback"
"Art of collecting- History or Mystery - Part 2"
"New Discoveries - One Texan's Colt"
"An Austin Story"

There is also the usual columns by the club officers and various other information. Other articles have appeared in past issues on the various automatic pistols and the Thompson Submachinegun... plus lots of other good articles to numerous to mention...

What else would you like to know?
Bob Best

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
What Coltdaguy said. There are plenty of us who are addicted to da revolvers too. In fact they are into just about anything colt.
Oh Yeah, I'm a member too!

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
Those articles look very interesting . What's the link to their site please . I think it's time to join . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hopefully I can buy back issues ? I'd like to read some of those articles listed .

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Mitch,

I think you would enjoy the CCA... I didn't know you were not a member... There are back issues of the "Rampant Colt" magazine available... Its listed in each issue. I find the articles informative and interesting for the most part... As I said it is member driven so everyone can contribute to the magazine... Its a GREAT group of folks too... I've not had a bad experience with anyone in the group so far and I have been around for quite awhile... Hope to see your name in the New Members page soon! Take care, Bob

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
Hi Bob

Yes , I'm a little slow at times . /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But , I'm definately going to join in the next month . Been busy here lately . Married off my daughter Saturday /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a good evening .

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll second (or third) the premise that the CCA is a worthwhile organization for anyone who enjoys Colts. The historical articles are well written and informative. I'm so pathetic I even keep the large envelope in which the magazine arrives just because I like the Rampant Colt on the cover. -Asa

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Mitch,

Congratulations on acquiring a new son-in-law! Hope he is a "gun person" too... My oldest daughter was married in England... was "fun" arranging the wedding! I have acquired a "taste" for Webley's since the marriage! :) ... My oldest daughter sill maintaines her DS collection though, her husband and I enjoy the Webley's...

Our youngest daughter is at home and attending college... we will still have another wedding to plan there but it will most likely be domestic! She has her eye on my single actions... and already has some of her own...

Kids are definitely fun! Enjoy your new family relation... Take care,
Bob

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob, my check is in the mail to CCA. If accepted maybe someday I'll write a article on "the treasure hunt".

I'm working on purchasing a boxed version of every Shooting Master caliber. (wish me luck)

Currently I'm working on my first boxed purchase and it's not the most common .38 spl.

Maybe someday I'll have the pleasure to trade stories in person.

Kevin

PS> Thank you Bob. You've taught me a lot and I look forward to the future.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I don't think you will be disappointed with your membership in the CCA... Glad to hear you are joining. I WILL be looking for your article on "The Treasue Hunt"! The next CCA show is in Reno this coming fall... I hope to display there... I would enjoy meeting you in person and swappin' stories!

Good luck on getting your boxed .38 Shooting Master... They are great guns and a boxed example is an excellent find!

Take care, Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I sent off my application to the CCA and hope to be able to make it to Reno next year. My interests are Colt law enforcement revolvers, but I am eyeing a nice Peacemaker at my local gun shop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a happy 2007.

John

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Glad to hear you've joined Doc. I think you'll like the association. I plan on going to Reno next year. Got HOOKED at Louisville which was my first All Colt Show. I'd be delighted to meet anyone else from the forum at the next show. I'll be easy to spot I'll be the one with the glassy eyes, and the huge grin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll probably have to medicate myself before seeing all those Colt displays!

John

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've also considered joining the CCA ever since I stumbled on their web site when I first started collecting.

One question: Other than the annual "Colt Show", is there a means by which members can buy and sell from each other?
Possibly classifieds in the magazine (which I have never seen)?

Thanks,
Mark A.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A couple of years ago I went to the show in Kansas City. Great people to talk to. You can walk right up to anyone and strike up a conversation.

Several of displays that stick in my mind. The largest booth had every year of Colt catalog mounted on his display wall and all were in excellent to mint condition. That was a lot of catalogs. Somewhere I have a photo. Another was a display of single shot Camp Perry's. There must have been 25 guns, including boxed and rare variations. Many booths with large amounts of documented evidence explaining why this gun was a popular gun or telling the life story about an old single action and the happenings with each owner. Samuel Colt personal and Colt business items. Just to name a few.

I talked to a man that had done extensive research on the Model 57 rifle. At this show I saw my first and only model 57. It's his belief that guns were not serialed between 1 and 5000 therefore (gaps occurred or the s/n didn’t begin at 1 but more like 2000 or 3000) far fewer than 5000 guns were produced.

These shows are well worth the trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts