Colt Forum banner

Is it contrary to forum rules or custom to ask for opinions on auctions/deals?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  1KPerDay 
#1 ·
Here's the deal. I'm a longtime member of thehighroad, M14forums, and several other gun boards, and each has its own "feel" and moderation style. I've read the "read this before posting" thread but I'd appreciate some feedback from long-timers here whether it would be all right for me to post and ask whether a particular gunbroker auction is a "good choice" or not.

I'm not smart/experienced enough in the Python world to recognize potential scams/problems and am currently in the market for a 6" bright stainless (or second choice, nickel, or possibly matte stainless) python as a Christmas gift for my father-in-law. I realize the prices have gone nuts in the past couple of years. I have no problem paying "fair" prices. (Ideally what would be considered by forum members as "a good deal"). However I don't want to get taken, or buy a lemon. This pistol will be mostly admired/fondled and occasionally fired. Box/papers unimportant, but condition must be as close to new-looking as possible.

I'd post a WTB in the classifieds but I'm not allowed yet...

So please LMK if it's "bad form" here to link to an auction and ask advice, potential value, problems, etc. I'd greatly appreciate the feedback and wisdom of those here with lots of knowledge on the subject. This is one of the best things about the Internet, IMO.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not in bad form to ask if something is legit or fake. Price is going to be subjective as we are all over the world and each area will exhibit regional pricing versus GB pricing. I suggest you contact a few of our members who are dealers in fine Colts and see what they might have in your price range. Keystone and John Fugate are 2 but there are quite a few others that may PM you telling you what they have. Certain members tend to keep a low profile concerning sales even though they are FFL holders and conduct business on differing levels. Best of Luck in your adventure.

#3 · (Edited)
Many thanks! Hopefully my adventure isn't too expensive. LOL :D

I'd actually seen some of keystone's auctions in my searches over the past few months, and recognized his username in some of the threads I've been browsing. They do indeed look excellent. I'm afraid he won't speak to me as I don't drive a Ferrari.
/kidding :D

I wonder if I'm in the wrong market; I'm a burgers and jeans kind of guy. ;)

Any other members who are FFLs who happen to see this post and have a really nice looking, mostly-looker, sometime-"shooter" python, please LMK.

#9 ·
I'm a burgers, jeans and Budweiser kinda guy and have no pretentions, especially who owns what or what restaurant they frequent so they can say they dine at a Michelin star place. In my eyes it's not the financial wealth nor the "toys" somebody owns, it's the way they conduct themselves in the eyes of God and their fellow man. The more someone brags the less I pay attention to their place in my world. The $200K vehicle status class pales to the folk I know that keep that 1994 Chevy Silverado purring like a kitten and enjoy a quiet evening on the porch with their neighbor "shoot the breeze". Give me the unpretentious and I'll give you an honest and decent example of what we need more of in this world. We all work hard for a living and not many have everything handed to them. Colts are my hobby because I love their design, the accuracy of a well made firearm and it's a niche I stumbled into but it certainly doesn't define me as a person. That I'll leave to the people that remembered how I was when I go to meet my maker. We have some awesome members on this forum that give of themselves daily, those are my kind of people. Pick your Colt wisely and the rest will fall into place.

#10 ·
Dear Mr '1K', not sure if that is your daily allowance or your daily miles. If allowance, I suggest we become good buddies. Ha Ha

That said, people on this forum will typically give you a straight answer on a GB offering, but rest assured if it's a steal they have already bid or bought it.

I suggest your best bet is to do exactly what you are doing and see what the members of this forum have to sell, or will sell you. They are not into gifts, but neither have the "solid" members ever had their reputation tarnished with something misrepresented. You might have to pay "the price" but typically it's market or below. I have bought several on the forum and in every transaction the forum member was a stand up guy with accurately represented Colts. In fact I would buy again from each without a blink. What you are looking for in the Python is not rare. Just pricey. Good luck.

#11 ·
Well don't worry if you think you payed too much for a PYTHON.....next week it will look like a bargain.....though it does appear to have slowed a bit lately...

Last time I truck shopped a new F350 cost more than a used Ferrari....

I drive old stuff and waste my money on GUNS ;) ;) ;) YMMV....RR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.