Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
yeah.
I will try to stay current, but I still need to figure out how this new format works.
I get it a little at a time.
It shouldn't be too long before I get accustomed to it.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Traffic has definitely suffered. I see most of the regulars posting, but it appears as though some of the older members check in every once in a while but not to the same extent as before. One member in particular I miss is Terry (WVCOLT). He last posted in the Community Feedback Forum a month ago and I haven't seen a post from him since. I know he was struggling with the new Forum like most of us. I've sent him a PM but he hasn't responded....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
is it just me or has participation slow down on this forum?
The traffic is way down on this website. One can see that by the greatly reduced number of "likes" you are getting now, vs. those obtained under the previous admin.

I have spoken by phone with some prior Colt Forum participants, and feelings are running high against this "new look" and the "admin".

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Traffic has definitely suffered. I see most of the regulars posting, but it appears as though some of the older members check in every once in a while but not to the same extent as before. One member in particular I miss is Terry (WVCOLT). He last posted in the Community Feedback Forum a month ago and I haven't seen a post from him since. I know he was struggling with the new Forum like most of us. I've sent him a PM but he hasn't responded....
When I receive a question by email, I can't tell whether my reply will be posted to all, or if it is a PM. That's pretty bad!

Some of my requests for info or help are from a member trying to decide on a purchase, so he may not want my reply posted.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
While the forum is running more smoothly than the old wretched platform did, the place has a completely different feel to it aside from the obvious visual changes.

The reputation bars are gone (I didn't even know what they were for years until one day I noticed I had 8 or 9 of them!) I noticed I lost about a hundred likes after the change over. Too bad, I was approaching a milestone of 5,000 likes. I was about 55-60 short.
That and the reputation bars were an honor from you folks - thanks.
Even though we have members with well deserved totals of 15,000-20,000, I still appreciated it.

We now have "trophys". I have no clue what they are.

Unfortunately, this new platform stinks on my old S7 phone. There's a permanent control tier across the top of my screen and changing pop up ads at the bottom. This does not give me much screen (a little less than 3 inches and even less if I turn the phone sideways). It's not enjoyable for me to look at.

Well, I guess the latest owners want to recoup some of their upgrade costs with ads, etc. And I can't really blame them for that.

But the place isn't the same anymore. It's like leaving a house you lived in for many years and moving in to a place you don't like as much and didn't want to move in to. Something I experienced in the real world about 18 months ago.

I'm not trying to start trouble, but I'm not too happy with the changes here.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
is it just me or has participation slow down on this forum?
There has been concern among many of us that new Colt collectors may not come along to replace the passing of older ones. The so-called "millennials" have been ridiculed for a number of reasons. However, these "millennials" include at least some that are smart enough to see the potential of collecting antique guns. That is when this website SHOULD step in and provide needed information with questions answered by us with much experience. If these new collectors get "burned" on a deal or two, it will be no wonder that they quit.

Is anyone reading this?? Suddenly I feel as though I am alone on the moon!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Although I’ve collected and studied for around 30 years now I am a newbee to the board, but I was around in the old format. My areas of interest are limited, so I only usually post on threads that deal with things I tend to have knowledge about. that being said, I don’t think I’ve had any problems in finding threads about topics of interest......

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts
Guys the phrase "change sucks" is true most of the time .

Last year I wanted a new car with no gadgets . I wanted AC/heat and a radio . Not available . You have to buy all the doodads deemed essential by the genius' in marketing and engineering . So now I have a car with a dozen switches and buttons that I'll most likely never touch . It drives nice , climate settings are fine and the radio isn't bad .

In 17 yrs I've seen at least 4 major forum format changes on the Colt Forum . Complaints always follow .
Once again , this is our new Colt Forum look and it's here to stay until some genius invents a new look in 4-5 yrs ... which for some will suck more than this one . Complaints will follow .

The two constants , we never revert back and complaints will follow .

Some have chosen to boycott or leave . Sometimes taking a break is a good idea . We'll leave the light on .

For me Colt Forum isn't a format , screen look , reputation points or any of that . It's about friends meeting and sharing a common hobby while also freely sharing their knowledge with complete strangers .
Most have never met in person and may be continents apart , but they can pull up a chair here and talk about guns .

Stay well .

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Well said, Guy.

The first I saw a cell phone, I told the owner he should chuck it in the first river he crossed, I would never be tied down by one those things. That lasted about 10 years.

Colt forum is a safe house, an electronic haven away from the bickering on other forums, Facebook, etc.

Yes, I know I don't have to bicker, but sometimes it is entertaining.

I just don't bicker on here!

Hang on folks, we are already 6 seconds in on an second ride.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I don't care for the new format either but that doesn't mean we still can't discuss Colts, ask and answer questions and post photos. I use an ad blocker so am not bothered by ads popping up and never use my phone for anything on the internet unless I am out somewhere and need to look something up. There are a lot more bothersome things going on in the world right now than an unattractive website to worry about.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It's not the same place anymore. The lack of avatars make it hard to tell who's who. I have most of figured out but it still has a different feel to it. I was planning on posting some recent non Colt acquisitions but from what I am seeing the interest is way down. I really thought that with all of us stuck at home the place would be quite lively but it has turned out to be the opposite.

·
Registered
223 Posts
When my friend and Colt mentor Bob Hassinger was around , to be quite honest with you guys I didn't need to belong to any type of forum . Bob used to say if it wasn't for collecting Colts I would not have a reason to get out of bed in the morning . He had an obsession for Colt knowledge ( I guess 63 years of collecting only Colt percussions will do that to you ) and would share this information with anyone who was truly interested in the collecting of Colts . When my friend was diagnosed with dementia the word Colt disappeared from his mind . To quote victorio1sw " suddenly I feel as though I am alone on the moon " . Learning from Bob was the fuel that fed my fire in this quest for Colt knowledge.
When it comes to technology I am a dinosaur . If the times that we live in today didn't revolve around this smarter than me phone I'm using at this very moment I would have nothing to do with it . Ten months ago I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this Colt forum . Somehow I managed to join and post an introduction of myself . I was surprised at the reception I had received from you guys . It made me feel like I was home again . My only regret about joining this Colt Forum 10 months ago is , that it wasn't 10 years ago and showed it to Bob . He would have loved it . As long as there is conversation on Colts I will be here .

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
I've noticed that almost all gun forums have a decline in postings.
What the cause is, is a question. You'd think that with many people staying home, there'd be more posting not less.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just don't have anything to say and don't like the changes. But I'm an old fart yelling "Stay off my lawn!" and don't have the time to learn new things. The 1911forum is still familiar and a better format.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
The group is becoming more comfortable with the peculiarities of the new format, but there are things I miss. Like the reputation points. I always thought those were kinda special......
With a little effort. it is relatively easy to get where you are going on here.
I do appreciate the vast body of information found on here. This site is indispensable.
I'm in, no matter what.
Colt Forum Forever!
HooRah!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts