Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point that these changes are designed to work along with newer technology.I gave up a 9 month old laptop when iPads came out and I’m on my 3rd one now. I use it with a browser or the tapatalk app on the firearm forums. With tapatalk the colt forum looks exactly the same as it did two months ago
I’m 65 and I can still adapt

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
I'm getting more and more accustomed to the new format. It does have some positive features but I think some functions of the old format should have been carried over. The only constant in the world besides death and taxes is change. In the future the format will be changed again and the griping will start again.

As other forums get bought up by companies such as VerticleScope they will change as well with the members there griping.

We may as well get used to it as it won't be changing back...or vote with our feet and go elsewhere. For me...I like this place and will adapt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I miss the likes and reputation points because they served an important purpose for me. When I ask a technical question the number of likes a respondent has helps me assess whether the answer is good. When I get a response from a poster with many hundreds, of even thousands, of likes, I can be assured that I'm getting the right answer. I don't use the buy/sell forum but if I did this would be even more important to me to assess the rep of a buyer/seller. This is the internet and we're all strangers to each other so it's the only way I have to tell a poster's credibility.

KNO3 (Subscript 3)

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I guess I have to gripe. What I am seeing more of is a "gun" forum and not a "Colt" forum. Lots of non-Colt firearms being posted. If I want to read about Rugers and shotguns there are dedicated forums for that. "Jack of all trades, master of none". Regards, keith

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I agree. And I liked the old reputation feature, it was kind of a Peer Review. I also liked that I could post a flamer (I'm known to spin up fast, but I spin down fast), and delete it a few minutes later. Now....no delete. I just helped shut down a 16 year old hobby forum. It eventually died off for a variety of reasons. Meanwhile, about 5 I can name off the top of my head are that old, and happily running along with lots of new members and active content, with the same old look and feel they had a decade ago. The Colt Forum engineering sys admins screwed the pooch on this one. But you know what? They don't care.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Question: Have ANY of our suggestions be implemented? At all? I see even the header bar graphics never changed. Basically it was all "happy-happy" marketing talk, then they went away and left us with what they built.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Question: Have ANY of our suggestions be implemented? At all? I see even the header bar graphics never changed. Basically it was all "happy-happy" marketing talk, then they went away and left us with what they built.
This question and others like it are in this thread.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
The new forum just doesn't have the friendly atmosphere of the old forum, and I feel like I have been transferred to a forum I didn't want to be on. Nothing is better, andT participation appears down.
It's not the website that makes a forum but the people who visit that website. I think the people here are as friendly and helpful as they've ever been.

It's about friends meeting and sharing a common hobby while also freely sharing their knowledge with complete strangers .

Most have never met in person and may be continents apart , but they can pull up a chair here and talk about guns .
I couldn't have said it better. :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
The new forum just doesn't have the friendly atmosphere of the old forum, and I feel like I have been transferred to a forum I didn't want to be on. Nothing is better, and participation appears down.
My thoughts exactly. I have almost given up on either visiting or participating. My prior daily one hour visit is now maybe 5 minutes twice a week. (n)

·
Registered
491 Posts
The Colt Forum has always been my favorite site. I have always enjoyed the shared wisdom between members, seeing pictures of new acquisitions and always learning something new in the process. However, the change has certainly given it different feel and not for the better. I'm trying to stay positive, but I have really lost my enthusiasm to spend time here. The subliminal "suck it up and deal with it" responses to members not being pleased with the changes is disappointing, but I realize that nothing can or will be done about it. I'm sure I will continue to drop in from time-to-time and maybe at some point I will eventually figure out how navigate through the site.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
You can try the Release Notes... I don't think it's 100% comprehensive but it gives an overview:

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
... For me Colt Forum isn't a format , screen look , reputation points or any of that . It's about friends meeting and sharing a common hobby while also freely sharing their knowledge with complete strangers .
Most have never met in person and may be continents apart , but they can pull up a chair here and talk about guns .

Stay well .
This is true, but unfortunately the "Members List", one of the most useful resourses for meeting and sharing with friends has been removed.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
I would like to send a PM, but see no way to do this under the new admin. It is not covered under FAQ's.
Click on the a member's avatar. "Start conversation", middle of screen, will start the messaging.
Vic

Reactions: guy sajer

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I can certainly believe participation is down. The edit feature is limited now,which I feel is not very helpful. There is certainly a lot not to like here. I thought time might help,now I’m not so sure. Pete

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
As a firearm collector and military model builder, the use of internet based forums like this is down across many hobby genres. The use of Facebook, Instagram and Reddit make peoples hobby interaction faster and less complicated. Most people seem to do their internet interaction with cellphones and this website is not cellphone friendly really.

Having said that, I became new to Colt collecting in 2017. I collect Colt AR-15's. I have been snubbed by many because I only collect Colt AR-15's and not handguns. At 49 years old, many of the younger gun owners that I talk to are most familiar with Colt through their AR offerings and don't really gravitate toward Colt handguns. Many of the younger pistol owners are into the latest Glock, Sig-Sauer, Smith & Wesson, etc. I have a Colt AR group that is active with its own website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit and MeWe group. A vast majority of the members are younger than me. A lot of the AR community is into 'cloning' military AR variants but there are many who are Colt rifle fans. We have to work against the draw of social status that many seek by owning Knights Armament, LWRC, Daniel Defense and BCM AR-15's to name a few. The burden is on us as a collecting community to give them a reason to come here.

The draw for me as a collector is the fact that I have carried a Colt rifle for my entire 32 year Army career. I started out with an M16A1 in 1988 and have carried the M16A2, M16A4, M4 and M4A1 carbines. My Colt collecting has expanded into Colt memorabilia and Colt paper. I love the history and the variety. I learn something new almost every day. In my personal life, I have owned Rock RIver Arms, Bushmaster, LMT, Armalite, Colts and may other brands of AR-15's. I have sold of almost all of my 'non-Colt' AR's and replaced them with Colt rifles and carbines.

I have also tried to get more deeply involved in the Colt Collectors Association. I would like to contribute Colt AR-15 content in the quarterly magazine but I don't know yet if it will be welcomed. I have reached out. I'm not young at 49 but I have noticed that I am a 'young' Colt collector. I really would love to see the Colt Collectors Association grow with 'younger' collectors but we have to be willing to be embrace all interests and not just the classic handguns. The diversity and flexibility of the AR platform is extremely popular among the young gun owners. Just my two cents.

Edited to add that I come here because I want to connect with other Colt collectors that have an interest in the history and technical details of the Colt AR-15. I believe there is a wealth of knowledge, AR examples and people who would love to talk about what they have. Overall I like the new format better and find it easier to use because it is similiar to many other websites that I use. I am going to participate as much as I can.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I got here in 2015 very new to the Colt SAA and looking for info. I was knocked out by all the deep knowledge and historical ties the old school on the Colt Forum had. Great stories and info, great pictures, I learned a lot and had a lot of fun still doing that- but look back on the old forum format and days kinda sad. New forum is good its free so don't have a sayso, I don't own it. The change was not a 'upgrade' though imo. I like the people here and a'int leaving. CF will turn towards newer guns- Colt is not a brand that the younger generation have a emotional attachment to. Bound to happen.

What did Freddie Sykes say?

'" It a'int like the old days but it will do."

+1

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.