Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well I admit I've been staying away lately but I can't say it's due to the new format.
Been busy finishing up an old truck restoration and got my old Harley back on the road.
I'm used to constant software updates from my old job but I admit the desire to peruse the forum has been diminished by the new appearance rather than navigation issues. Just looks different and ad placement is troublesome.
Definitely too busy looking like they're overusing the space provided.
Like always we'll all endure.

20200511_102553.jpg
20200425_130251.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think your two cents were well spent Minuteman . I'm 55 yrs old and couldn't tell you the difference between an upper or a lower . But I can tell you this as a collector , and everyone knows this if we don't encourage new collectors we die . Plain and simple . I Collect mainly military Colts . Do I want a black plastic AR . Heck yeah ! Eventually
Winchester snubbed a man named John Browning one time ( big mistake) John was making auto loaders in a world of revolvers and bolt actions . There are many cross overs in all gun collections . Much to be learned for some Much to teach for others . By the way, Browning's ideas did catch on . Eventually .

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
It will be said, “They had a good run.”

Reactions: Cozmo

·
Registered
75 Posts
Like many, I am resistant to change. But this is still a valuable and, I must say, friendly forum. I have participated in many gun forums and too many of them devolve into bickering and insults. Don’t see much of that here. The format may change, but it’s still the Colt Forum. A lot of valuable and interesting information here.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's been several months since I logged onto this site. When the COVID-related "work from home" guidance was issued, just about everyone at my workplace started doing just that. So instead of being face-to-face with customers and moving around much of the day, I sat in a chair in front of a computer, trying to do the portions of my job that could still be accomplished. And writing lots of reports, including a daily report on what I'd done all day. Everything took twice as long (or longer) because I had to type it rather than show someone. Or at least until they got the online conferencing going (and worked the many bugs out of that). Add to it, nightly updates pushed by the IT support, and having to check the computer in the middle of the night to restart it or reset the connection when it failed to do so automatically.

Speaking for myself, the LAST thing I wanted to do after all that, was spend more time on my personal computer, reading any forum (including this one). I did stop by around the time that the format changed, looked around the website once, and decided it wasn't worth the time and frustration. That was around early April.

I'm on here right now, because I got bored while waiting for the company "push" to finish tonight. I see the new header that doesn't go away, and a sidebar on the right side of the screen; seems like about 1/4 of the screen is wasted space. Might stop by again sometime, as I learned a lot from y'all over the past several years. Gotta finish up with the work update and go get some sleep though.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Being 70 yrs old and resistant to change I’m not nuts about the new forum. I’m an antique and into antiques so the 3rd Gen SAAs and black gun’s don’t interest me so I don’t visit as much as I used to and comment even less. The advertising is bothersome. Somebody needs to make money from the site. Personally I’d prefer a yearly membership fee. I’d heard that if I buy the premium membership there will be less or no ads. Deja vous pay tv in 1980. “Pay for tv, are you nuts? But there’s no commercials!” How’d that work out?
I’ll keep checking in from time to time. I just miss the “old days.”

·
Registered
37 Posts
While the forum is running more smoothly than the old wretched platform did, the place has a completely different feel to it aside from the obvious visual changes.

The reputation bars are gone (I didn't even know what they were for years until one day I noticed I had 8 or 9 of them!) I noticed I lost about a hundred likes after the change over. Too bad, I was approaching a milestone of 5,000 likes. I was about 55-60 short.
That and the reputation bars were an honor from you folks - thanks.
Even though we have members with well deserved totals of 15,000-20,000, I still appreciated it.

We now have "trophys". I have no clue what they are.

Unfortunately, this new platform stinks on my old S7 phone. There's a permanent control tier across the top of my screen and changing pop up ads at the bottom. This does not give me much screen (a little less than 3 inches and even less if I turn the phone sideways). It's not enjoyable for me to look at.

Well, I guess the latest owners want to recoup some of their upgrade costs with ads, etc. And I can't really blame them for that.

But the place isn't the same anymore. It's like leaving a house you lived in for many years and moving in to a place you don't like as much and didn't want to move in to. Something I experienced in the real world about 18 months ago.

I'm not trying to start trouble, but I'm not too happy with the changes here.
I thought a trophy was given to all that participate in any event these days....whether you win or (can I say lose). I went today to look for the Classifieds and evidently the do not appear on a relatively newer member's screen/account.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can see my number of posts, obviously a "newbie" but it appears there are a fair number of not-so-happy members with regard to the new format. I believe the Marlin forum changed to this new format as well.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.