Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Trooper (blue) the other day, and as I am cleaning it up, I find a bit more rust than I had hoped would be there. I wonder if it is safe to use the Autosol polish I have around that I use on chrome and other metals I might like to shine up a bit. I am concerned that it might attack the blueing itself, rather than just the rust.

I figured I might ask around first before I end up posting something about why not to do it after the fact.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Anything abrasive will remove bluing. Search polish and you will find many threads on this subject. How much rust? My experience is lots of oil and a light touch with 0000 steel wool. There are many differing opinions around here about what to use and all have a basis of fact. No doubt another member will chime in with their favorite method. One thing is for sure, bluing is fragile so be careful no matter which method you use.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,091 Posts
Here's how I dealt with light rust in the shop.

First, I'd apply a good coat of a penetrating fluid to the rusty areas. Kroil is the best, but CLP Breakfree or any hardware store fluid will do.
Allow to soak at least a couple of days, maintaining the layer on the metal.
This will soften and loosen the rust.

After soaking, apply more fluid and use a brass "toothbrush" to scrub the area. For larger crusty areas, make a scraper from brass. A real brass cartridge case with the mouth smashed closed and filed to an edge can be used to scrape the area.

Once the rust is off, the bluing will be gone in the spots that were rusted and there will be at least tiny pits left.
Wipe the metal dry and apply a thin coat of CLP Breakfree. The Breakfree will continue to "work" on any remaining rust, and will prevent further rusting.

I personally don't like using steel wool, having seen to many guns marred by using it dry or rubbing too hard. The brass brush and scraper are too soft to harm the remaining blue.

Some things NOT to use:
Synthetic Scotchbrite type scrubbing pads. These are very abrasive.
Metal polishes. ALL of them are abrasive, even Flitz.
Coins. American coins are no longer made of copper or nickel. They're hard enough to damage bluing.
Naval Jelly or most other rust remover chemicals. Almost all of them will strip bluing right off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts