Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking for a clean, NON refinished Python 2 1/2" for a long time now. I'am no expert, meaning that if someone were to tell me a colt SN and present me with the actual weapon, I could not tell you if the weapon matched the SN and if the finnish was authentic. Here is my problem; in about 48 hours from now I have the chance to buy a very nice Python 2 1/2" nickel w/ Stag grips. The owner sayes it is a late 60's Python that has NOT been refinished and comes w/real stag grips. I asked for an inspection period, but how can you tell if it is the original, 40yr.old nickel finish?? The missing grips are a hint that provokes boubt, and the weapon is blemish free. The cylinder looks to be turn free(or very lite lines)and could be a pre MkIII. We set a fair price, and like I said, in 48hrs, I will send the money. I will try to put up some pics for all to scrutinize, and see if you Colt guys can point me in the "real" direction.

Thanks for your time.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Again I have to disclaim that I'm not a Python owner and certainly not an expert, but here goes. The top photo is a little overexposed/bright so the details do not show as well as you would like for an analysis, but the rampant colt, VP and inspection marks do show even under those conditions. My concerns would be that , if you look at Python pics like in the sticky post at the top of this category, most if not all rear sights are not a bright finish. However, I believe there was a thread on this some time ago and some examples of some models apparently do. My main concern from the photo would be that the sideplate to frame "joints" seem quite wide and not well fit, a typical characteristic of a refinish where the edges have been rounded by polishing/buffing. I don't understand your comment about "Pre MkIII". A turn line on a Python action does not come from shooting, it comes from opening and closing the crane without "pre-indexing" the cylinder notches and bolt. As a result,the cylinder must be turned after the crane is closed and the bolt is dragging between flutes. Since most do not treat this correctly, a light or no turn line at this age is also suspect to me. Expect (and hope for) more opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We have many Python collectors here that will hopefully reply . I'm not a Python "expert" , but I handle used guns everyday but Sunday for a living . Hands on inspection is always preferred . As that is not an option here , close-up views of the barrel markings and the side plate would help . My PC monitor isn't the best , but there appears to be a gap in the fit of the side plate and frame in your first pic above the grip by the screw . A closer view would help .

Typically , a refinish will many times blur or smear the lettering . Sometimes the edges will be rounded , especially on parts like the side plate that show up as gaps at the joint .

The finish on yours may in fact be original . I can't be sure without a closer look . Good luck . I hope you found a good one . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit to add :
Looks like Jim beat me to the "submit" button and made similar observations about the side plate ... Hi Jim . /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked the seller for more pictures and concidering the high degree of optical illusions, I hope he send many in focus pictures. As soon as I get them, I will post them. I confirmed that it is a 60's weapon and the sites are correct.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hard to tell about the sideplate. May just be the angle of the pic, but it does seem a little too "distinct."
The top strap should have a matte finish, as should the lug and rib portion of the muzzle. But the actual protruding muzzle ring should be polished. Most times on a refinish, these details are overlooked.
I don't recall seeing nickel sights on a Python, but I know Diamondbacks and other Colts will appear either way: blue or nickel. It would seem if it were a refinish, it would be easier to remove the sights and not mess with plating them. So I'd guess that's factory too.
By the way, I must add the same "non-expert" disclaimer! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hate to ask the question........but.....seeing how Colt revolvers are now my newest addiction and the collection is now growing.....what will I pay for something like this wonderfull looking gun? I have a handle on 4' and 6' Pythons old and new but how about this? I love the stag handle and the 2'. Need one for a fix. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall seeing nickel sights on a Python

[/ QUOTE ]

Early nickel Pythons had nickel front / rear sights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts