Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story of my life has been I wanted a Colt but the Money was never there. It took me two tears and a lot of patience to get my first one a 4 inch Peacekeeper 357 Magnum that I got because it was ugly like me and everyone over looked it. Well as time went by would be able to get a few more that I love dearly. Now I am looking at the "One that always got away" a Python. I am saving up the money to buy a new one but have not heard if they are actually worth owning. I could very happily continue to shoot my 200 dollar Peacekeeper. Any knowledgeable responses are much appreciated.

·
Registered
461 Posts
By "new one", do you mean 2020 or new to you? Not sure if you saw this.....................A LOT of info here on the 2020. I just purchased an all original one owner 1979 and love it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 3 Pythons. Royal Blue 4", Nickel4" and new model 6". It took me a few years of buying and selling (up, hopefully) Colts. Of the three it depends on the day which one I like the best. I would not let loose of any of them. They are the pinnacle of revolver collecting and to have three makes me feel lucky. Unless the offer for any of these is more than they are worth I would never get rid of them..

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Cruiser, you were around the forum for a while and should have a pretty good idea if “the one that got away” is ‘THE Python ‘. or ‘A Python’. They are 2 different things, that look similar.

If ‘THE’ is the one, can probably find a nice shooter for 2K.
If ‘A’ is OK with you, can probably later in time find one at below the 1499 msrp, but not right now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Can anyone rephrase/elaborate on the difference between 'The' Python' and 'A' Python. I'm afraid I've become confused.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
In post #5, 68python defines 'The' as the original article, and 'A' as the 2020 version.
The idea is, there are only so many (hundred thousand) of the original, and there will be no more of them, ever. So 'The' refers to those. ('Those'?) Any other is just 'A' Python.
There are significant differences between them. Either revolver is an excellent handgun, according to all reports.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cruiser, you were around the forum for a while and should have a pretty good idea if “the one that got away” is ‘THE Python ‘. or ‘A Python’. They are 2 different things, that look similar.

If ‘THE’ is the one, can probably find a nice shooter for 2K.
If ‘A’ is OK with you, can probably later in time find one at below the 1499 msrp, but not right now.
I was thinking of a New Python if it has a good action and feels good shooting

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
On the 2020 product, you will find most of the Python subforum now taken up by conversation on that product, much by new members, some by long time members.

You will see various , often strident, views on the the questions you ask, there.
This a "hot button" issue, .
All I will say is ,I did not buy the 2020 product.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The story of my life has been I wanted a Colt but the Money was never there. It took me two tears and a lot of patience to get my first one a 4 inch Peacekeeper 357 Magnum that I got because it was ugly like me and everyone over looked it. Well as time went by would be able to get a few more that I love dearly. Now I am looking at the "One that always got away" a Python. I am saving up the money to buy a new one but have not heard if they are actually worth owning. I could very happily continue to shoot my 200 dollar Peacekeeper. Any knowledgeable responses are much appreciated.
How many years have you had lust in yore heart for a Python? Because if you are going back decades, then what you have always wanted is one of the originals, and you might not be happy with the new one , when what you've always wanted was true gelt...

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
I have not held or shot a new python yet. But a good review for the 4.25” is on YouTube from someone who understands revolvers and is old enough to have had to maybe requal with a revolver. Very little mention is of the esthetic part of the gun compared to its shooting ability. He rates the double action trigger at the top ( as it should be) as he cleans up the target range with the new python. And he isn’t a one brand shooter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts