Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this one used for a really good price a while back and have been shooting it quite a bit, all with regular .38 FMJ. Today, after cleaning it, I notice that there might be a crack or a scratch in the corner of the frame, right behind where the cylinder stopper thing (no clue about nomenclature lol) is.

Is this a crack or a scratch? When I run my fingernail across it, I can feel it. Is thing unsafe to shoot? Can it be fixed? I haven't seen any stories of the gun cracking from there even with people who shoot +p. The frame doesn't appear to be stretched, timing, lockup, and gaps are still excellent. No issues with the forcing cone or the surrounding part of the frame either.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
Squirt some naphtha on the crack. Wipe off the excess. Strike the butt sharply and see if some naphtha appears at the site. If it does, it is a crack. If not, it probably is not a crack.

The mark does appear to be a crack, but I have never heard of any D-frame cracking at that location. If it is a crack, it is not in a critical location for safety so you can continue shooting the gun. However, IF it is a crack, I would recommend shifting the gun to a carry piece and shoot something else for practice and recreation.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
For a minute there I thought you were going to suggest lighting it off and welding the frame back together. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Paint thinner (not lacquer thinner) or mineral spirits is also Naphtha. Main difference in the various solvents is their flash points, e.g., lighter fluid has a lower flash point, therefore is more flammable. I imagine about any penetrating oil would also work similarly.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My eyes must be worse than I thought. I couldn't see anything in the photo that looked like a scratch or a crack? However, seems like that shiny thing running up the side that resembles a hand seems totally out of place in that location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the thinner idea and didn't see any excess come out. But, I think it's a good idea to not shoot this one too much. Guess that just means more work for my other guns.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Cobra Intervention

Come clean Pop,,??? What have fed this little jewel ? Just tell the truth,, thats your first step moving forward. Whatever you have done is in the past and will not be held against you. You are not in trouble,,We are here to help you not hurt you. We were all brought here because we have some sort of problem, your not alone. At this point in the game, we as a group feel its best you flush all of your Plus P's down the toilet. :cool:

John

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well it sure looks like a crack to me. In order for it to be a crack from firing it would seem to me that the top strap would have to have some sort of distortion. I don't see how the bottom of the cylinder opening could crack in that way without a corresponding crack/separation in the top strap. If I am wrong please explain it to me.......:confused:

As for flushing your +P. Before you do that PM me I have as DS to feed....:D

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
It looks like a tiny piece of lint/thread etc. BUT you said you can feel it with your fingernail so it must be a scratch (or crack).
Open up the cylinder and look inside at that corner. Do you see evidence of the crack EXTENDING through the bottom of the frame at that location?? If Not, it probably isnt a crack , just a scratch. Or betteryet take off the side plate and the remove the guts ie the rebound lever,hand trigger,hammer etc and LOOk inside. Can You see any evidence of the crack inside??
Other than the fact that it is a reentrant corner and a good place for a(residual) stress riser,it doesnt seem like a likely place for a stress (from shooting )crack. I think the stress from the bolt head against the cylinder notch would be inward not outward (toward the crack). The stress from the cylinder pushing back against the recoil shield could put some stress on that corner however.I suppose also that if it is the START of a crack ,maybe it hasnt gone through the entire thickness (just yet).
So, to summarize- darned if i know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts