Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha All,

Need some of your collective wisdom. I recently purchased (but have not taken delivery of) a Officers Match Model (S/N 901XXX) single action. I'm not sure about it's DOB.

It was formerly owned (so I'm told) by one of the best competitive shooters here in Hawaii. Am not sure of it's DOB (maybe circa the early 1950s?) but it's in immaculate shape and the trigger action is really amazing. Very light and crisp. I understand that the SA's are rare and from reading a past thread in Colt Forum, it's fairly easy to modify a DA into an SA.

Short of getting a letter from Colt is there any way to ascertain whether it's a factory job? There are no distinguishing marks that I could see. Barrel is 6", it looks "stock" and has checkered grips that look like walnut.

Sorry no photos until I get possession of it in a few weeks.

mahalo

Rob

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Presuming it is 38 caliber, probably 1953. Aside from the letter, I would say to compare it internally with some photos and discussion on the forum regarding factory SA modification vs some others. The letter is still probably the only way to know for sure how it left the factory and if it were done as a factory rework, that record may not even exist. :cool:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Rob, I can't shed any light on your question, but would like to welcome you to the forum.
Frank

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mahalo nui loa

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much (mahalo nui loa) for your remarks and hospitality.

I guess the second logical question (maybe really the first) is how to load for this gun. I generally load full wadcutters for my Smith 19. That would be 2.9 gn of 231 for a 148 gn full wadcutter.

I've never had a Colt target revolver and have no idea of what it likes to consume for tight groups.

I've got Clays, 231, Bullseye, Unique and Accurate #5 on hand. I also have some 158 gn SWCs at home.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

mahalo

Rob

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I've had pretty good luck in mine with 3 grs of either Bullseye or RedDot and the 148 W/C.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you joined.

Your 231 load would be as good a place as any to begin with your Officer's Model Match.

My Officer's Model Match loves the 148 grain hollow based wadcutter over 2.8 grains of Bulls Eye. It also performs well with good 158 grain SWCs and 4.8 grains of Unique.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMM Loads

Thanks guys for the advice and ongoing "aloha" spirit as we say.

Looks like I won't even have to change my loading routine! Look forward to shooting this very much. Will keep you posted. Any other suggestions on care or feeding of the OMM would be appreciated.

mahalo

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
A very accurate load for 148 grain hollow base wadcutters is 2.9 or 3.0 grains of red dot with cci 500 primers(38 special load). I've been loading and shooting them since 1966.

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
I have yet to shoot a bullseye match with mine. Mine loves to consume a more powerful load of 5.2 grains unique behind a 158 SWC for 15 to 25 yard tin can flying performance. This is still a comfortable load out of this fine revolver.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Very Nice !!! Those are some choice grips. A lot of guys really like that style, myself included. Great looking gun and it should shoot as good or better than it looks. The ones I have really like the 2.9 or 3 grs of either Red Dot or Bullseye with the 148 W/C - I haven't tried much else except some Federal Match Wadcutters that worked real well also. I think you'll like it no matter what you shoot out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
First day out with the OMM

So I christened my OMM today at the Kokohead Range here on Oahu. The range master, old "Jimmy", looked at the gun and pronounced it "good" (he had owned one once) but told me they were "tricky" to work on and went back to his throne. Between the lines he was saying, "I hope it doesn't break because you'll be SOL if you need to get it repaired on this island".

At any rate I shot both 2.9 and 3.1 loads of 231. It seemed happiest with the lighter load. It needed very little tweaking. It was shooting a bit high out of the box so I simply lowered the elevation and got good results (except when I jerked the trigger!). I never touched the screws to bring it left or right. I dumped I don't know how many rounds into the target below. Not a Camp Perry material but I wanted to see what the gun could do and it didn't disappoint.

I've never owned an old Colt before. It's very accurate and there's a kind of primitive simplicity to it. The trigger is quite light--maybe 4 lbs-- but crisp.

It will take a few hundred rounds until my muscle memory gets the message. Perhaps a chimpanzee could have done equally well but I was happy for the first time out. FWIW I was shooting offhand on this target.

Next time I'll shoot it at rest and see what kind of groups I can get.

I've got some 158 g SWCs from Roze and I may try them too. If anybody has some pet loads, I'll give it shot just to see if the guns likes them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts