Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a bit OCD, but I really am enamoured with the finish on my 4.25 inch Python. Is the 'bright (polished) stainless' finish on the new King Cobras the same (not a duller) finish? I may not be able to hold off the Cobra bandwagon if so. TIA

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I don't believe the polishing on the new King Cobra is quite to the level of the new Python...it is a less expensive gun. It's no slouch in finish...just the Python is even better. The Python after all is a premium revolver and priced as such.

·
Registered
549 Posts
No it's not! I love my King Cobra Target but the finish is disappointing, almost like a painted finish or bead blast. Next to my S&W 686 or Ruger Vaquero it's a joke. I might try buffing it. Other than that it's great but don't buy it for the gloss.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You want a shiny King Cobra , look up the seller Colts4me ( forum member also).
He sells brand new stainless Colts - that he has polished bright.
For me , I’d rather have black ion bond or cerakote than brushed , matte or bright stainless.
Blued carbon is my first choice , but that’s just me , check him out .

Also , I could’ve sworn Colt offered the new Cobra , and or KC in the factory bright stainless .

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Colt does...or at least did...offer a Cobra in bright stainless and laminated wood stocks. I have one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
OK, so I checked the label on my KC Target and the finish is listed as Standard Stainless, suggesting that there is another level of stainless finish perhaps. Interesting.
Here are pictures of the KC and the Ruger. You can see me reflected in the Ruger, but nothing off the Colt. I hope this helps. I'm sure if there's a gloss stainless option
Revolver Plant Air gun Trigger Bicycle part
Plant Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tool Bicycle part Nickel Gun accessory Household hardware
it will be more like the Python.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
That King Cobra isn't right. It's either been bead blasted or left the factory unfinished with polishing. Even the Pony looks a bit soft. Assuming you're the original owner, didn't that stand out when you purchased it? Not being judgmental, just observations from that photo posted.

My 3" King Cobra is polished stainless and I can get my reflection in it just fine.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
It kinda looks like the base Cobra with its frosted like finish.

Reactions: .38SuperMan

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am the original owner yes. Bought new online. They were hard to get in Canada. I didn't know Colt had two levels of stainless but thought the finish was odd for sure. I've since seen two others just like it. I don't mind the finish but it's not the gloss the OP wanted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Colt changed the level of polishing on the King Cobra line at some point. The earlier guns are more matte in appearance and the latter models are much more shiny like the new Python.

When it was first introduced, almost matte.

New production model on gunbroker.com

·
Registered
549 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks. I was just reading the same early model article. Mine was a very early issue and all four on offer looked the same. Kind of like it actually, especially on a sunny day. Less glare. Even more know that I know more about the various polish options. I use it, so this stands up a bit better too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 3” King Cobra is just as nicely polished as my Python. I also have a new Cobra 38 2” stainless that is the more satin finish. All three revolvers were bought in the last three months.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts