Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to have an old New Service that was used by the Mounted Police. I am looking at this example coming up soon at Rock Island Auction.
Royal Northwest Mounted Police Colt New Service Revolver | Rock Island Auction

I have seen several others on the internet in recent years, and they all have a 3 or 4 digit number stamped on the backstrap along with the letters RNWMP. Do you think it means anything in particular that this one does not have a number? The spacing of the letters indicates that there was no intention of adding a number. I know a few of you have a book about guns of the Mounted Police. Do those books give any clue?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
I would love to have an old New Service that was used by the Mounted Police. I am looking at this example coming up soon at Rock Island Auction.

I have seen several others on the internet in recent years, and they all have a 3 or 4 digit number stamped on the backstrap along with the letters RNWMP. Do you think it means anything in particular that this one does not have a number? The spacing of the letters indicates that there was no intention of adding a number. I know a few of you have a book about guns of the Mounted Police. Do those books give any clue?
Thanks
Years ago, I owned one of these in 455 caliber. I think mine was shipped in 1917. The backstrap was stamped RNWMP (with an issue or badge number). The stamping was crude, and done one stamp at a time. Not even lined up very well.

So I sent off for a Colt letter, and it read in part "Roll marked on backstrap 'RNWMP XXX'". So I called Marty Huber and said "Marty, this is a crude stamping, not roll die marked". Marty just indicated that this is what the shipping ledger said.

So what happened here? Did Colt make a RNWMP stamp, but it broke? And then Canada just said "Ship them, we are in a hurry"?

Reactions: Private Smith

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts

Thanks
BTW, Hickok45 has a great segment on this gun and its history:

Reactions: Private Smith

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts

Thanks
The backstrap looks different, with no number, but at least they include a Colt letter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is mine. I found the sn listed in the Arms and Accoutrements of the Mounted Police, it was shipped in 1919. Shot it yesterday in my clubs monthly match. It has a rack number on the backstrap. This one is odd as it has a .45colt barrel and has a .455 cylinder but has been altered to shoot .45acp but not .45AR. I use .45 cowboy special brass. One of my grail guns. Very nice Colt.
Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel Bicycle part

Automotive tire Rim Bumper Tints and shades Font

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
One possibility is that the markings had been removed and they “restored” them.

Reactions: victorio1sw

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just looked in my book for sn143065 shipped on October 31 and finally found it. It has a complete listing of guns, acceptance dates and sn’s. Don’t have a clue about the missing rack number. If the backstrap had been cut down that deeply the grips would be deformed and the uncheckered edge not be even. It never had a number there. Who knows why. Maybe issued to an Mountie before a rack number was decided on and could be stamped?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have two one was originally chambered in .455 Eley with CAL 45 Colt stamped above that and is so marked on the barrel the other is chambered in .45 Colt. The first one is serial number: 616xx the other is number: 1478xx it doesn't have the MP stamped on the butt like the first one does. The production dates are 1914 and 1918 respectfully. The .455 Eley cylinders have been reamed to accept .45 Colt or .45 Scofield. With the grips removed MP is stamped on the left side of the grip frame, There are proof marks on the cylinder Crown over V and Crown over either CP or GP hard to tell, The Colt VP is on the left side of the frame just above the front of the trigger guard/bow.
Shoe Grey Synthetic rubber Gadget Material property
Household hardware Lock Material property Gas Auto part
Wood Natural material Art Metal Pipe

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
I just looked in my book for sn143065 shipped on October 31 and finally found it. Don’t have a clue about the missing rack number. If the backstrap had been cut down that deeply the grips would be deformed and the uncheckered edge not be even. It never had a number there. Who knows why. Maybe issued to an Mountie before a rack number was decided on and could be stamped?
I know that with the Colt M1877 DA's that were issued to the Pacific Exp Co., the rack number was the serial number.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Although the letter that comes with the revolver on auction shows a shipping date of 1919, the Colt serial number look up indicates it was made during 1917. I wouldn't worry about the rack number, there is a letter to support that it is indeed a gun issued the RNWMP (Mounties).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here is the back strap on mine. 45 Colt, shipped on October 8, 1919 and ser# 1800 above the auction one. Interested to see what it sales for.
Wood Font Rim Metal Electric blue

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Good luck with the Rock Island auction. I too looked at this example but will look elsewhere now that another member has opened this post. BTW if you get a chance to attend a Rock Island Auction, it is well worth the effort. Hands on inspections available and first class treatment for attendees.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
c5250b raised a topic that I have wondered about in the past. Does discussing a particular gun in an upcoming auction increase the interest in that gun, thereby raising the price at auction? c525b seems to think this is a real issue, so he indicated that he has lost interest in bidding on this particular gun. I could be wrong, but I previously concluded that this probably not matter. I think many members of the Colt Forum routinely check out the Colts listed at Rock Island Auction, so discussing one gun in a future auction probably does not increase the number of bidders or the price they are willing to pay. One exception would be if an on-line discussion uncovered something really unique about a gun, but I don't expect that in this case. What do you think?

And don't forget the original reason for this thread: Does anyone have an explanation for why this gun does not have a number stamped on the back strap? I wonder if maybe those numbers were assigned to individual officers, and maybe this gun was intended to be held in reserve and not issued to an officer. It shows little holster wear, which could be consistent with that theory.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
'Does discussing a particular gun in an upcoming auction increase the interest in that gun, thereby raising the price at auction?'

Of course it does...

Quite a few times, someone will ask a question, only to find that a piece sold while he was awaiting an answer - 'sniped', as it were.

By asking about a piece, it highlights interest in something that the 'other guy' didn't notice - thereby causing him to wonder what he may have missed and prompting him to buy before he loses out.

That guy will expect to flip it for a significant profit - all because one guy asked about it, and if one did - surely more would want it.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
c5250b raised a topic that I have wondered about in the past. Does discussing a particular gun in an upcoming auction increase the interest in that gun, thereby raising the price at auction? c525b seems to think this is a real issue, so he indicated that he has lost interest in bidding on this particular gun. I could be wrong, but I previously concluded that this probably not matter. I think many members of the Colt Forum routinely check out the Colts listed at Rock Island Auction, so discussing one gun in a future auction probably does not increase the number of bidders or the price they are willing to pay. One exception would be if an on-line discussion uncovered something really unique about a gun, but I don't expect that in this case. What do you think?

And don't forget the original reason for this thread: Does anyone have an explanation for why this gun does not have a number stamped on the back strap? I wonder if maybe those numbers were assigned to individual officers, and maybe this gun was intended to be held in reserve and not issued to an officer. It shows little holster wear, which could be consistent with that theory.
Had hopes someone would provide info on lack of numbers, and reason there is no room for one. Agree little holster wear. Holster looks in great condition and doesn’t look like it was out in the northwest weather. Good luck with the auction. As stated, I will watch but look for an alternate for my bidding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts