Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this 1911. It is on a Essex frame which I have already heard are not known as the best. The slide is marked Colt but I am
wondering if it is real? If so what time frame it is from? Also was wondering about the barrel time frame ect. It looks like the magazine maybe a original Risdon possibly as it is stamped with an R. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Looks like a legit Colt slide, maybe pre War or early post War. Definitely a Frankengun.
Essex frame
Colt slide
Springfield Armory (the Commercial SA) barrel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a legit Colt slide, maybe pre War or early post War. Definitely a Frankengun.
Essex frame
Colt slide
Springfield Armory (the Commercial SA) barrel.
Thank you. I hadn’t able to find a slide with marking quite like this so wasn’t sure. And where the colt lettering on the right side is looked like they are normally more under the opening so was worried. It shoots really well though.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The slide looks like it has place for a swartz safety. Remove the firing pin plate and check if there is a serial number stamped on the slide. Slide probably dates to 1937-1942.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
JohnnyP,

I was wondering the same thing. Could be a Commercial to Military slide. Love to know the number on the slide to see if we’re correct.

Best,
Tom

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Looks like it might have been changed recently. (Removing the rear sight allows access to the Swartz Firing Pin Block area.The slide is proofed, most likely, it Is a Commercial to Military.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received this 1911. It is on a Essex frame which I have already heard are not known as the best. The slide is marked Colt but I am
wondering if it is real? If so what time frame it is from? Also was wondering about the barrel time frame ect. It looks like the magazine maybe a original Risdon possibly as it is stamped with an R. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you
Thanks for this post Greenhummer1! The content is very valuable. It shows that you spent time researching this and you have managed to turn it into an incredible piece of valuable content (y):):unsure:

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
While the early ESSEX frames had some thing to be desired they were available, and inexpensive, made a decent parts gun (back when parts were more readily available), and its a shame that these frames are no longer made.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While the early ESSEX frames had some thing to be desired they were available, and inexpensive, made a decent parts gun (back when parts were more readily available), and its a shame that these frames are no longer made.
I just have this one Essex frame but the fit and finish look pretty good. It also seems to fit the slide very well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a pop up banner over the bottom three digits, but the slide is from one of the Commercial to Military Colts, and the military serial number is 864XXX.
Yeah sorry. The photo I took shows the bottom but it won’t show on the site. You actually can’t read any of the numbers On the bottom anyways as it looks like something had been hitting it or something there. Thank you for the info though. It is neat see that. So when would this most likely have been made? Sorry to ask another question but would these have been blued at one time and then parkerized? The lettering is so clear is what I am asking. It looks original.

·
Registered
26 Posts
SN# 864XXX is for 1943 production. I have 868649 which is a few thousands higher than your slide, but it has normal military rollmarks, not a commercial/military transfer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That looks really nice. Can’t quite figure why mine is so buggered up at the serial number. So the way I understand something I read was that the Swartz safety was probably removed at the military?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts