Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard rumors that Colt actually does not even manufacture the new Cobra and only assemble other Company's parts. Does anyone here know if that is true or just a rumor??

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum
It has been discussed thoroughly.
Since you’re not aware of that of course..
the answer to your question is ultimately your decision.
Some will argue it’s not really a Colt because it has been verified that all parts are made elsewhere.
Most agree that it is a Colt because it letters as a Colt and is assembled by Colt.
All metal parts are MIM Parts and not produced “in house.”
No gun manufacturer makes all of their own MIM gun parts. MIM parts are mostly farmed out to MIM Parts manufacturers because its somewhat of an art form with the metal formula and process to maintain a high quality Parts and its expensive to tool up for the part. The Parts can come out too soft or too brittle if not done right, and is a loss in those cases.
MIM Parts done right are good parts that can be asssembled without extra fitting and polishing labor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
According to the Colt factory...
The Cobra cylinder and receiver (frame) are forged/milled components. Barrel is one piece, outsourced parts are not made by other firearms manufacturers. Many internal parts are MIM made to Colt specs. That is what I was told from Hartford...please do not kill the messesger.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Funny. In my opinion, Browning is possibly the finest production firearm available today. Very few complaints of QC are heard about their product.
That being said...my Hi Power is Made in Belgium. Assembled in Portugal.

My Citori O/U, A-Bolt, BPS...Made in Japan
by Miroku

My BAR Mark II Safari....Made in Portugal.

I believe they are always known as Browning firearms.

Mike drop..........

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Browning doesn't make anything...they're a corporate name and logo...same with Weatherby. All their products are outsourced and occasionally vendors change when economically advantageous to do so. Browning rifles and shotguns used to be under contract by FN in Belgium...now they're made in Japan to Browning specifications. Weatherby Mark V rifles used to be made in the US, then Germany by Sauer, then Japan and now back in the US...and US vendors have changed at least once. Weatherby Vanguard rifles have always been made by Howa in Japan. Weatherby shotguns have been made in Japan, Spain, Turkey and who know where else.

No one seems to complain...Mark V rifles made in Germany carry a premium because they're not made there anymore and because of the German reputation for quality...but those in the know consider the Japanese made Mark V's better.

Colt had rifles made by Sauer...arguably the finest sporting rifles made any anyone, anywhere. They certainly have the smoothest action...even more so than a Weatherby Mark V. Colt also had centerfire rifles made using both Belgian FN receivers as well as Sako receivers and assembled by a subcontractor in New England under the Colt name. They were promoted by Colt, sold and serviced by Colt and will letter as Colts. Are they any less a Colt than one made in the Hartford factory?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Browning doesn't make anything...they're a corporate name and logo...same with Weatherby. All their products are outsourced and occasionally vendors change when economically advantageous to do so. Browning rifles and shotguns used to be under contract by FN in Belgium...now they're made in Japan to Browning specifications. Weatherby Mark V rifles used to be made in the US, then Germany by Sauer, then Japan and now back in the US...and US vendors have changed at least once. Weatherby Vanguard rifles have always been made by Howa in Japan. Weatherby shotguns have been made in Japan, Spain, Turkey and who know where else.

No one seems to complain...Mark V rifles made in Germany carry a premium because they're not made there anymore and because of the German reputation for quality...but those in the know consider the Japanese made Mark V's better.

Colt had rifles made by Sauer...arguably the finest sporting rifles made any anyone, anywhere. They certainly have the smoothest action...even more so than a Weatherby Mark V. Colt also had centerfire rifles made using both Belgian FN receivers as well as Sako receivers and assembled by a subcontractor in New England under the Colt name. They were promoted by Colt, sold and serviced by Colt and will letter as Colts. Are they any less a Colt than one made in the Hartford factory?
I believe a lot of these discussions stem from disappointment after all the hubbub about "the new and totally re-engineered Colt". If you recall, the discussions here on the forum were full of speculations, "inside information", Colt's somewhat confusing press releases and plain exaggerations, and it was almost like people expected the Cobra to be a revolutionary gun that would blow every other gun straight out of the water, like "Colt's triumphant return to the revolver market". Expectations were simply too high, and the fact that Colt only does the final assembly only makes it worse. In short: Many people see it as an anticlimax.

The next discussion will probably be about who makes the parts. Like you say: Many manufacturers have been successful in outsourcing and maintaining the quality, sometimes with products that are even superior to their own. The name recognition plays a large part in if this is praised or denounced by the gun community. I don't think many would hesitate to buy a Colt rifle if they knew it was made by Sauer, and I'm sure it didn't hurt the sales of the Browning .45 BDA that it was made by SIG Sauer, as a matter of fact it might have helped. However, what if the Cobra parts are outsourced to, for example, Charter Arms? Those parts may very well be top notch, but there will still be some doubt regardless. "Guilt by association" if you will. I believe this is what may members here are trying to wrap their heads around.

This discussion will probably never end, but it may make it easier if you put it like this: If it's not a Colt, what other brand would it be? Many of those saying that it's not a Colt are probably doing it because it's not as nicely made as earlier models, but that's a topic for another thread.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
I believe a lot of these discussions stem from disappointment after all the hubbub about "the new and totally re-engineered Colt". If you recall, the discussions here on the forum were full of speculations, "inside information", Colt's somewhat confusing press releases and plain exaggerations, and it was almost like people expected the Cobra to be a revolutionary gun that would blow every other gun straight out of the water, like "Colt's triumphant return to the revolver market". Expectations were simply too high, and the fact that Colt only does the final assembly only makes it worse. In short: Many people see it as an anticlimax.

The next discussion will probably be about who makes the parts. Like you say: Many manufacturers have been successful in outsourcing and maintaining the quality, sometimes with products that are even superior to their own. The name recognition plays a large part in if this is praised or denounced by the gun community. I don't think many would hesitate to buy a Colt rifle if they knew it was made by Sauer, and I'm sure it didn't hurt the sales of the Browning .45 BDA that it was made by SIG Sauer, as a matter of fact it might have helped. However, what if the Cobra parts are outsourced to, for example, Charter Arms? Those parts may very well be top notch, but there will still be some doubt regardless. "Guilt by association" if you will. I believe this is what may members here are trying to wrap their heads around.

This discussion will probably never end, but it may make it easier if you put it like this: If it's not a Colt, what other brand would it be? Many of those saying that it's not a Colt are probably doing it because it's not as nicely made as earlier models, but that's a topic for another thread.

I can't disagree at all. It does bring up another rhetorical argument (which really doesn't mean anything)...if Colt outsourced the new Cobra...and it was all milled steel made identical to the older DA Colt revolvers and polished and finished equal to the previous generations...and Colt only assembled them in the Hartford factory...would they still be a real Colt? I don't believe there's a right or wrong answer...just a rhetorical exercise.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I can't disagree at all. It does bring up another rhetorical argument (which really doesn't mean anything)...if Colt outsourced the new Cobra...and it was all milled steel made identical to the older DA Colt revolvers and polished and finished equal to the previous generations...and Colt only assembled them in the Hartford factory...would they still be a real Colt? I don't believe there's a right or wrong answer...just a rhetorical exercise.
LMAO! :D Yeah, this discussion is rhetorical for sure. Lesson learned: Buy the old Colts, it's way less confusing and much more satisfying. :p

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
I didn’t even realize how many of these Browning rifles that I have acquired..
.22 hornet micro Hunter and microbolt medallion
.22 A-Bolt
model 52, which is modeled after that Winchester 52 (absolutely fabulous)
.22 auto grade I
.30-06 BAR safari
All of the above rifles are high quality rifles to me.

I’ve sold some brownings in the past.. probably to acquire more Colts.

I can recall that I’ve let go of some A-bolts in .270 and .25-06 and a .30-06 bar safari with a boss.
T-bolt rifles...I’m forgetting a few because it may put me in a bad mood.

·
W.E.Coyote Acme Computer Genius
1,165 Posts
I can see a Couple of Guys in a Local Gun Shop in 1917 Discussing If the Colt 1911 Is still really A Colt Because of Remington Rand or High Standard Manufactured barrels.

Apple IPhones Are designed here in the USA, But fully Built in and with parts from Asia/China.
Is it still a Apple product? Or should we call it what it is: "The Foxconn IPhone"?

What was said before About Colt being held to a higher standard By some Forum members Is obviously very true.

The Old ways of gun manufacture are unprofitable and are as dead as the Dodo Bird.

MIM, Bead Blasted Finishes, Rubber Grips from the factory...... Get use to it for guns of the future...:)

Welcome to the 21st Century.

P.S. By The Way....I Own A New Cobra, And I'm far from Disappointed. I Am Very happy with it.

Reactions: ei8ht and scstrain

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
And no one even tries to say they are actually Winchesters. If Colt had come out with a high quality firearm the topic would not even be an issue.
They don't? I'm not trying to be a wisecracker; I've just never heard that. Do you mean among Winchester collectors? I've always considered them to be Winchesters.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
They're Winchesters...just farmed out to someone else to build under Winchester license. Then again...Winchester itself was for years just a name owned by US Repeating Arms Company that owned the rights to the Winchester name...they also built the firearms in the old plant. Then the rights to the Winchester name was sold to FN.

Winchester ammunition hasn't been made by Winchester for decades...the rights to the Winchester name in ammunition was sold to Olin many years ago. Outside of the name, Winchester ammunition and Winchester firearms have no connection.

Reactions: ei8ht and Hopalong
1 - 20 of 41 Posts