Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's where I probably get banned from Colt Forum for traitorous heresy.

Obviously the market feels the Python is everything it's cracked up to be.

I've been a somewhat skeptical Python owner since day one A decent used 1978 vintage 6-inch blued Python came to roost here in about 2006, before the time when used Python prices increased significantly. It's nice and it's amazingly accurate when I'm in a shooting humor. In a single side-by-side test one afternoon against the other Colt .357 Magnum model I have on hand, the Python shot the tightest group by a very small margin, with both revolvers using the same carefully prepared handload. Different handloads, especially tailored for each revolver and shot on different days might reflect opposite results.

The Python is not my favorite Colt revolver model by a long shot. To me it is somewhat over styled. I am not in favor of full lugs, caring neither for their looks nor their clumsy handling nature. The vent rib is wretched excess in my opinion. Only the early Pythons have a truly inspiring polish job. The rest seem excessively polished to me. The factory stocks on the later Pythons are frequently pretty plain and their finish brittle and not too durable.

Python craftsmanship lore aside, special burnishing balls passed through bores and all of that, are the Pythons' actions truly more finely crafted than many of their stable mates which were built on the same frame size? I've handled, cycled, and shot a goodly number of Pythons over the years and this 1978 gun feels exactly the same as other Pythons in good condition.

But, there is the 3 5 7 that also roosts in the safe here. It gives up nothing to the Python in action feel. It got whipped by a nose that day both were out for the test, but it's very accurate in its own right. Then there are the Officers Model Match revolvers. They have actions to die for, again not taking a back seat to the Python in this regard. They are more accurate than my Python has been with my best efforts. Their styling appeals to me more than the Python does.

I enjoy owning the Colts. I use all of 'em too. None are safe queen grade. I'm going to experience them and not save them unused in the safe. I like owning and using the Python, but am not really feeling the special qualities attributed to it. Some of the other Colt models are just as nice and are currently more attainable.

Has the Python reputation long been a source of a bit of sensationalized leg pulling? Is the Python craftsmanship truly unique? Maybe I'm missing out on something. Y'all can probably straighten me out here with a bit of education.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
All I know is all those Colt medium framed guns you show had hand tuned actions. So they will feel largely the same. Inside they are the same.

Accuracy depends on many things, and if you shoot 10 identical makes and models of any gun, some will be more accurate than others. So at times a 3 5 7 or Officers will be more accurate than a particular Python.

So all that's left is the "story" and "personal style preference." No use debating those two.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well factory guns are just that. Wait until you get a real full custom revolver. :) Not cheap but once you have a revolver with a SPC Krieger tube you have not lived. :)

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Pythons are awesome revolvers...a lot of revolvers on the market are as well. The Python has a mystique that's rare among handguns...whether it's deserved is in the eye of the holder. It was always meant to be a premium, revolver with the extra measure of fit, finish and performance...and that comes at a cost. Those willing to pay for it do so...those who aren't willing to or can't don't.

In the end...the Python...as with many other handguns...are more accurate than most shooters can hold it. It's almost unheard of for a Python to not have excellent or even exceptional accuracy. Many handguns can claim that...but the Python does deliver.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I bought Pythons a couple of times "back in the day", and each time was disapointed in the shooting experience. They do pretty well with 38 Special, but as 357 Magnum shooters they fall well short of a S&W 27. The Python has a sexy appearance, and it's beautifully finished, but, IMO, its performance does not match its look. Each time I bought one I eventually ended up selling it and returning to the 27.

Best regards,

·
Registered
637 Posts
I bought Pythons a couple of times "back in the day", and each time was disapointed in the shooting experience. They do pretty well with 38 Special, but as 357 Magnum shooters they fall well short of a S&W 27. The Python has a sexy appearance, and it's beautifully finished, but, IMO, its performance does not match its look. Each time I bought one I eventually ended up selling it and returning to the 27.

Best regards,
Well fortunately those time are gone and we have the new design. :) Times do change you know.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In the current market, where one can get 2-3 nice OMTs or OMMs for a similar Python, it's a no brainer.

For those that want the magnum juice, what for? These have all pretty much become range guns and plinkers. I know there are a few still daily carrying a Python, but it's a tiny number that realistically would only increase if Colt releases a new snub Python, and even then many will balk at a $1500 carry gun. As a woods gun, okay, but the Python (new or old) is just too pretty to me. S&W and Ruger have that segment pretty locked up.

There's a 6" blued 1970s Python in my neck of the woods that has my interest, but 2 large is a lot of money. And it would become an occasional range gun and something to hand down to the kids.

If you need me, I'll be out trying to find an old .38 target gun to go with my .22 OMT...

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
/snip/
These have all pretty much become range guns and plinkers. I know there are a few still daily carrying a Python, but it's a tiny number that realistically would only increase if Colt releases a new snub Python, and even then many will balk at a $1500 carry gun. As a woods gun, okay, but the Python (new or old) is just too pretty to me. S&W and Ruger have that segment pretty locked up./snip/
Mine never really were anything but range guns. The only time I ever had 'em in a holster was to see if they would fit.
If I ever get to where I can have a 4" blue beater Python, I would carry it, but not the nice pretty ones.
I have a 1950 OM Special that has never even been turned. I cannot scrape up the fortitude to actually use it. I should have waited for one that was broken in already. Or an OMT. Either would be preferable to a jewel that just sits there. I had no business acquiring a pristine revolver in the first place. Live & learn I reckon.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine never really were anything but range guns. The only time I ever had 'em in a holster was to see if they would fit.
If I ever get to where I can have a 4" blue beater Python, I would carry it, but not the nice pretty ones.
I have a 1950 OM Special that has never even been turned. I cannot scrape up the fortitude to actually use it. I should have waited for one that was broken in already. Or an OMT. Either would be preferable to a jewel that just sits there. I had no business acquiring a pristine revolver in the first place. Live & learn I reckon.
Carried mine at the ranch last week. Some still carry for a purpose other than range time. :) Kramer MSP Shark...

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I carry my 1961. It's blue is already worn in the high spots and muzzle, and has a rash from the previous owners sweaty thumb in one spot. It's a quality 4" carry gun for me, royal blue, solid walnut grips, and cost less than the current new ones.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I think a 5" Python would look the best balanced appearance-wise.

Reactions: BusaDave

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Maybe the “ craftsmanship “ isn’t unique but after all these years the LOOK is sure unique! Pete

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Why yes, yes they are.

Like a high condition Thompson, Registered Magnum,Porsche 911 6cyl naturally aspirated, and Rolex Daytona-
they are mechanical art/sex symbol.

Even long term Python Skeptic "azshot" has relented, and started to appreciate them some....:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
From the standpoint of function or “craftsmanship“, there is nothing extraordinary to me about the 2020 python other than the price. Other than the general appearance similarity to the originals, it is a brand new design (for better or worse). While I could easily afford one, I’m just not motivated to pay that much for a “shooter“ with no collector premium value. I am fortunate enough to own six originals, two of which regularly accompany me to the range.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts