Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
yes, the pistol is a 2nd generation C series 1851 Navy but the case and the other accessories are not Colt, just Italian repros.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Is the 2nd gen. made in Conn.by Colt or Italy by whoever colt had build there black powder models?

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
The 2nd generation C series C&B revolvers are build by Colt in their Hartford plant and the F series was build by Lou Imperato in his Iver Johnson plant in NJ under a license agreement with Colt. All distribution and quality inspection was done by Colt. All C and F series Colt C&B revolvers can be lettered from the Colt archive. None of these guns are produced somewhere outside the US, only some rough castings have been imported from Uberti.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 2nd generation C series C&B revolvers are build by Colt in their Hartford plant and the F series was build by Lou Imperato in his Iver Johnson plant in NJ under a license agreement with Colt. All distribution and quality inspection was done by Colt. All C and F series Colt C&B revolvers can be lettered from the Colt archive. None of these guns are produced somewhere outside the US, only some rough castings have been imported from Uberti.
Yes, the C and F Series 2nd Gen BP Colts only used three parts from Uberti in Italy, i.e., the backstrap, the cylinder, and the barrel, all rough and unfinished when delivered to Colt or Iver Johnson. All other parts were made either by Colt (C) or by Iver Johnson (F) in strict accordance with Colt specifications.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
If Colt would have used e.g. frames or finished parts from Uberti they would have Italian proof marks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If Colt would have used e.g. frames or finished parts from Uberti they would have Italian proof marks.
Not sure about that, since my 3rd Gen Colt (Signature Series) 1860 Army is made almost completely, if not entirely, at Uberti in Italy, and it has no marks (other than Colt's engraved signature on the backstrap) that did not appear on the civilian originals from the 19th Century. No Italian proof marks anywhere.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
my 3rd Gen Colt (Signature Series) 1860 Army is made almost completely, if not entirely, at Uberti in Italy,
that is wrong, the 3rd generation C&B guns are also made in the US by Lou Imperato. He founded specially for the production of the Signature Series guns the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company and produced again under a Colt license agreement these guns in Brooklyn NY. They were built in the US and only rough cast parts were imported from Uberti.

·
Registered
44 Posts
that is wrong, the 3rd generation C&B guns are also made in the US by Lou Imperato. He founded specially for the production of the Signature Series guns the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company and produced again under a Colt license agreement these guns in Brooklyn NY. They were built in the US and only rough cast parts were imported from Uberti.
That's good to know. Thanks. I hear so many contradictory things about the Signature Series. I believe Mike Beliveau is saying that the Signature Series was made completely in Italy, just to higher standards than usual.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think all of them had to adhere to the Colt quality standard. I've been looking for a C series shooter 1851 for a couple years on and off. Are you planning on shooting yours?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts