Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Smith guy, so I'm an absolute greenhorn here.

I found a 6" Officer's Model Match in .22LR, serial #710**, with an 'S' underneath it in the crane/yoke. The front sight is a large base with serrations facing the shooter, but the blade itself is smooth-faced, undercut, and pinned to the base with two pins. The dealer, who appears fairly knowledgeable, asserts that this style of sight came out in '53, but the gun is probably from the late 50's. The backstrap has vertical serrations, and the diamond-checkered grips appear as though they show equal wear to the gun.

The hammer is a Pythonesque semi-target, but the trigger is narrow with 3 serrations. I would rate the finish as 85%+, with no visible corrosion, just some white near the muzzle and thinning blueing. The DA is absolutely wonderful, with a crisp SA. The timing and lock-up are perfect, and I honestly can't feel any slack in the lock-up as is common with S&W.

They are asking $450, and I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,545 Posts
My Standard Catalog is several years old and lists a Colt OMM in excellent condition at $600.00, so I'd rate this a good buy.

The gun was made from 1953 until 1969.
The front sight, hammer, and trigger are correct for the OMM.
All early 1950's Colt target grips, were checkered from the bottom all the way to the top of the grip. Later grips had a "thumb rest" cut at the top to clear a speed loader, and checkering that ended around the grip medallion. So a totally checkered grip would be original for a later 50's gun. I've seen one or two of these early full checkered grips sold on ebay for around $100.00 each.

From the sound of it, I'd recommend buying this one. These OMM's were possibly the finest shooting .22 revolvers ever made. In those days, the revolver was King at all the target shooting matches, and the Colt OMM was "top gun". Most of the top shooters used Colt's.
Grab it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just talked to a group of old Target shooters and asked them about the OMM's, a lot of them shot at Camp Perry many years ago and said that the OMM was one of the worst guns Colt had made at that time, and to this day most seem to think that the last "good" Colt Target Revolver was the Officers Model Special. One of the big problems was the rear sight was not giving a good sight picture and it would not hold adj. + would not repeat the adj. when you would change from 50 yds. to 25 yds. Also seemed to go out of time very easy.

It seemed most went back to the Officers Model Special or a K-22. IP

These OMM's were possibly the finest shooting .22 revolvers ever made. In those days, the revolver was King at all the target shooting matches, and the Colt OMM was "top gun". Most of the top shooters used Colt's.
Grab it.[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regardless, I bought it after seeing it languish for so long.
First rested group at the 25yd. line was 1.25" or so right in the X-ring with bulk-pack Win. X-22.
Spent quite a bit more time that same outing trying to better that, but I couldn't get the others much below two inches.

If anyone's interested in the fully checkered grips as desribed above, let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts