Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a \'real\' Fitz Detective Special?

It's a 1928 model

[image][/image]

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
Re: Is this a \'real\' Fitz Detective Special?

Would you believe me if I said I had Hitler's personal Luger? What if I produced documents?

The same thing applies to the "Fitz Specials" one sees from time to time. Anyone can claim to have a true "Fitz Special." The style was copied by many gunsmiths over the years, and this one is probably a copy since true "Fitz Specials" are few. As always, the only way to know is with a Colt letter. Remember the "Python" and "Shooting Master," etc. that were not.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks JC, I agree that it's a fake. I've done some reading after the post and you are correct. There are MANY fakes out there. I did find a couple of interesting things to look for. These pics are not clear......for a reason.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts

Here's a couple of fast tests that might help ID a real Fitz:

First, look at the LEFT REAR side of the trigger guard where it meets the frame.
Detective Specials had the "VP in a triangle" Colt proof mark stamped on the FRONT left side of the trigger guard.

Since the Fitz was cut away, the factory stamped the "VP" stamp on the REAR left side of the guard.

If you see NO "VP" stamp on the left rear of the guard, it was NOT a Fitz Special, it's a cut down Detective Special.

Second, look at the top of the hammer.
A real Fitz Special will be finely and NEATLY checkered.
This was to allow thumb cocking of the hammer.

The grips on your gun are NOT original.

If you gun is showing a rear stamped "VP" and a checkered hammer, you MIGHT have a genuine Fitz.
Only a factory letter can will tell for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Well boys you hit it right on the mark...or should I say dollar? There is no better way to authenticate provenance in this case than with a letter. However, since the term "Fitz Special" has become rather ambiguous over the decades, I would assert that "Fitz Special Style Modifications" would perhaps better describe the features...without suggesting personal attribution to Henry Fitzgerald. If you merely want it for these features, to simply own a period revolver with those modifications and the price is the same or perhaps just a bit more than a standard production gun in the same condition, why not? It will be less expensive than purchasing a period gun and paying additional fees to a gunsmith to modify it. Also, to modify a good condition original period piece like a c. 1928 DS/PPS would be distasteful to most serious collectors. If both you and the seller understand it is not genuine..and the price is acceptable TO YOU....then why not? By the way...do you guys really believe that Henry Fitzgerald personally performed every single step of modifying these many revolvers at the factory? Seems unlikely to me. Have any been discovered (by letter) modified at Colt's after he left the company or died? It's an interesting question. The answer may help to explain this profound ambiguity in definition that has become a long repeated theme.
Lefty
bellcharteroakholsters.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts