Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, had Turnbull do a restoration of a 38-40 a few years ago. This was a gun that had already been re-blued some time in the past so there was no original finish...but, what I do know is that the frame serial number didn't used to look messy like it does now. The 2nd and 3rd numbers from left (5 and 6)were misaligned and were a little weak, but the numbers looked proper and were properly spaced. Looks like they maybe tried to overstrike the numbers to make them stand out more? Anyhow, I thought I was maybe being too fussy at first but the more I look at this the more it bugs me. Should I let it go or should I have asked them to do something about this? (if even anything can be done at this point)

38wcf.jpg

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I'll tell you something you might have already guessed, but 'now' your eyes will immediately see that imperfection, and it'll irritate the hell out of you.

Sell/trade the piece and find another - and remember - that shop doesn't always turn out impeccable work - they just charge for it.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Is it possible to have them tig weld and re-stamp or is that not possible on a case hardened area?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just my opinion, but that would drive me crazy. Personally, I think they did a terrible job of re-numbering the frame. Even looks like the 5 and 8 overlap. Rick is right, removing those numbers and re-stamping them would probably not work out well. I'm not impressed with what appears to be an egg shaped hole for the cylinder pin screw, either. Full view photos would be nice.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I guess I'm glad I didn't let them work on my Bisley 20 years ago, when they quoted me $500 for a full restoration. It could have been worse.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
dogface said:
…. and remember - that shop doesn't always turn out impeccable work - they just charge for it.
I've been dealing with Turnbull's shop work for 25+ years now. You can make book on DF's comment above. It isn't their first mistake or likely the last. I wouldn't let that error stand. Send it back and have them fix it. And yes, in the grand scheme of things it is an easy fix. Helps that they do their own color case hardening :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm with Dogface on this one, it would bother the hell out of me.

Knowing what you paid to have Turnbull do that would really bother me.

Take care, Duane

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you contacted them (Turnbull) to see what their stance is? They seem to be a pretty upstanding company... Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Cozmo said:
I've been dealing with Turnbull's shop work for 25+ years now.……..
To be fair here and not make it sound as hard as I might have originally. I have two projects in the works right now at Turnbull's. One that needed correcting that I had to send back. And one that is there now they are working on. As I mentioned I have been working with them for 25+ years. Which should imply that I like their work...which I do. But anyone can make a mistake...and we all do. But when you charge a fair bit over typical shop rates you need to get it perfect.

In the 30+ years of jobbing out work I have had almost every supplier I use redo something. With one rare exception, generally no big deal, you just need to ask. Even my "rare exception" has a new job they are working on for me at the moment. Hard to say, "never again" and stick to it over a couple of decades :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The gun as a whole is fantastic and I'm very happy with the work they did...except for the re-numbering on the frame which 1. I don't get why they did it and 2. they completely botched it up. My question is, can it be re-done without taking more metal off the frame? So like can they weld it up a bit, shave it down, and re-number? If I can get them to own this and fix it I would like to go that route, I'm just not sure if it's something that's fixable so that's what I need help with.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Yes, it is easily fixable. Up to them as to how they decide to do it. But as I said earlier, easy to fix.

Could weld it up, could cut the frame down or a combo of both. Either way the fame will need to be refinished. If they decide the best way to do it is cut the frame down then the trigger guard will need to be refit/recut as well. None of that, no matter how they do it, is rocket science, just costly in labor and time.

But...very easy to do.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Turnbull shouldn't have messed with the frame numbers at all, and definitely not re-stamping them. Maybe engraving to deepen would be considered OK, but I won't speculate on what can be done with a main serial number.

I can say that sloppy numbering was also done at Colt during original production, with some periods of time showing worse numbering than others. Numbers stamped out of alignment, and even overstamping an incorrect number was done at Colt.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts