Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
For what they charge, its unacceptable that you're unhappy with how that particular area turned out. I imagine they would be willing to fix it for you. As a kind of "warranty" of their work and for the satisfaction of their client. I would..

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
This is one area in which communication is crucial. The customer's expectations must be understood in advance, while the restorer's capabilities and limitations (if any) must also be understood. Since Colt's stamped numbers in almost every fashion that can be thought of, from the business side, you might have been upset if they straightened the numbers out.

Communication and expectations.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If I understand correctly, you had this job done a few years ago. I have to ask why it is bothering you now and not when it was returned to you then?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If I understand correctly, you had this job done a few years ago. I have to ask why it is bothering you now and not when it was returned to you then?
It bothered me right away but I thought maybe I was being too "fussy" so I let it slide. I probably should have asked the question on this group right away, but I put it in the safe and didn't think about it too much. Now, every time I look at it, it bothers me more and more considering how much I paid for this resto and the fact that the numbers were fine before they did this.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
To be fair here and not make it sound as hard as I might have originally. I have two projects in the works right now at Turnbull's. One that needed correcting that I had to send back. And one that is there now they are working on. As I mentioned I have been working with them for 25+ years. Which should imply that I like their work...which I do. But anyone can make a mistake...and we all do. But when you charge a fair bit over typical shop rates you need to get it perfect.

In the 30+ years of jobbing out work I have had almost every supplier I use redo something. With one rare exception, generally no big deal, you just need to ask. Even my "rare exception" has a new job they are working on for me at the moment. Hard to say, "never again" and stick to it over a couple of decades :)
There have been a few times over the years when I wasn't at all happy with the case colors and I sent the frames back to re-do. They were always great to work with. I guess I imagined that this wasn't fixable but I'm glad to hear that there are in fact options, if perhaps they aren't easy fixes. I'll send it back and see what Denny says.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
After an extended period of time I'm not confident that Turnbull will address your concerns for free. They may offer a reduced rate to keep you happy but you would have a much stronger case had you contacted them right away. That said, it cost nothing to ask. Remember you catch more flys with honey.....
Now, please SHOW US THE GUN!;)

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I also agree that the job is not up to par whatsoever. But I believe after 2 years it might be to late for a redo with them. I hope not of course. Hope it turns out good for you as I understand your feelings with the end result on your gun. Very strange that they let this go out the door in this state. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
After an extended period of time I'm not confident that Turnbull will address your concerns for free. They may offer a reduced rate to keep you happy but you would have a much stronger case had you contacted them right away. That said, it cost nothing to ask. Remember you catch more flys with honey.....
Now, please SHOW US THE GUN!;)
Rick is right on here ^^^^ ( Remember you catch more flys with honey..... ) That's what I would try my friend.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Agree with what y'all are saying, it can't hurt to ask...so I'll ask. I'll post some pics...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I worked in a metal shop one time, creating "art" home fixtures. We offered 3-4 finishes that were different "patinas". A customer would commission a lamp or such and we'd make it, then apply the chemicals to create the green/blue patina they chose, and wait to see how it turned out. Each was unique. I can't tell you how many times we lost money because the customer would not like the patina, saying
"but it needs more Bluish colors....but the splotches aren't aesthetically pleasing...but...but... So the owner would have the piece stripped down, and get workers to "TRY" to patina with more blue, or smaller splotches that looked like little kittens or whatever the customer wanted (usually a woman). Incredibly sometimes the customer STILL didn't like it, or would say "I liked the first one better." All this for a $80 lamp sconce.

I told the owner he was going to go out of business with his model: "the customer can order rework ad nauseum - on a natural, random patina process".

Turnbull is like this. They are commissioned to create their art. It is not perfectly faithful to 1910s Colt work. It's as close as they can get. Some things they do better at, like case hardening and polishing. Some things maybe less than perfect. Because they are not Colt, with 25 year Colt experienced workers, tooling, jigs, techniques. They are artists, and if you like samples of Turnbull's work, you commission a job and they create it - in THEIR way. The idea that you can then demand rework because of aesthetics is getting carried away. A major problem, yes, but not the alignment and depth of a stamped serial number!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If they charged me $80 I wouldn't be bothered as much. :D Obviously they charge a LOT of money, more than I paid for the gun. They're not Bubba, so I expect more. To me that seems like really sloppy work for an otherwise really nice piece and it sounds like I'm not the only one in this thread who thinks so - but that's why I came here, to get your opinions. If the consensus was don't worry about it, it's fine the way it is, I'd let it go.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
As I tried to say, I'm afraid you've waited way too long to be dissatisfied. If I were Turnbull my first instinct would be that you tried to sell it, the customer balked at the serial number and you came back on them. It's a beautiful SAA, if you truly can't live with it I'm sure you can sell it, recoup your money and start again.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
As I tried to say, I'm afraid you've waited way too long to be dissatisfied. If I were Turnbull my first instinct would be that you tried to sell it, the customer balked at the serial number and you came back on them. It's a beautiful SAA, if you truly can't live with it I'm sure you can sell it, recoup your money and start again.
Yep, you may be right. It has been 2 years. Well, I'm waiting on a call back and we'll see what they have to say. I'll keep it regardless of what they say because I really do love the piece aside from the messed up serial.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
bbates said:
.. It has been 2 years. Well, I'm waiting on a call back and we'll see what they have to say....
Two years is a bit much. But you are a return customer and have spent some money there and likely will again. Sara and Joon have emails. If you haven't already, a photo pretty much tells the story on the serial number. Costly mistake? Sure, if you have to fix it. But they have all the skills and expertise to do so easy enough. Who pays might be a question :)

21 - 40 of 93 Posts