Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the barrel is original on this New Service 45 Colt revolver because other ones I've seen say "New Service 45 Colt" and this one only says 45 Colt. Could it be a 455 Eley with a 45 Colt barrel?

Also, I'm wondering about the age of it. The serial number is 2493 but there is a number 9 just above it. I'm wondering if that is an inspector's stamp? Any info. would be appreciated.

IMG_E6586.jpg IMG_E6587.jpg IMG_6585.jpg

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
is there any writing (or traces of same) on the top of the barrel, between the front sight and the frame?

·
Registered
491 Posts
The serial number is 2453, it is an old model produced in 1899. As mentioned earlier a key to the originally of the barrel would be the Colt Address and patent date on top of the barrel. The period after Colt makes me wonder about originally because usually its just Colt with no period. Both the Canadians and British procured News Services in the 2000 and 3000 range in .455 for the Boer War. The Canadians also procured some in .45 colt since their old Model 1878 which were also used in the Boer War were chambered in .45 colt.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
The barrel is pre-1917. Look carefully to see if the NEW SERVICE part of the caliber marking was lost in buffing. The number 9 under the crane is probably the Colt assembler's mark.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Built in 1900. As I recall very early New Service revolvers had a one line address only roll stamp, (no patent information). The barrel should also be stamped on the left side, NEW SERVICE 45 COLT.

The frame should have a Rampant Colt on the side plate and COLT'S NEW SERVICE forming a circle around the Rampant Colt along with * at 2&10 O'clock.

Your gun should also have a fixed, non-pivoting, non-riveted firing pin milled with the hammer.

Rebounding hammer with no block.

No V-P proof on the trigger guard.

Sadly your gun has been expertly buffed by back yard bubba under a tree.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
No two ways about it - those 'Harbor Freight' flyers are like a siren's song to the enthusiastically ham-handed...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the details - much appreciated. This revolver was owned by an older gentleman who has passed away and the revolver was given to my friend. He advised that the original owner mentioned that the barrel may have been replaced and I am trying to find some information for him. It's not good that it may have been buffed, so I enlarged the photo of the 45 Colt label and now see the "E" from the end of New Service which usually precedes it!!! (see photo below). Regarding the top wording, it isn't visible, but I will attempt to look very carefully for faint lettering that hasn't been buffed out. Again, thank you for your input and suggestions.
Barrel.jpg Barrel2.jpg

The serial number is 2453, it is an old model produced in 1899. As mentioned earlier a key to the originally of the barrel would be the Colt Address and patent date on top of the barrel. The period after Colt makes me wonder about originally because usually its just Colt with no period. Both the Canadians and British procured News Services in the 2000 and 3000 range in .455 for the Boer War. The Canadians also procured some in .45 colt since their old Model 1878 which were also used in the Boer War were chambered in .45 colt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts