Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if this package is correct for a 1994 SS Python. I am not sure as neither the blue box nor carton has any information on it. I am also curious if the Goodyears are the appropriate grips for it. It has a test target, etc that matches the serial of the pistol. Does Magnaporting reduce the value of these things? TIA

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DO you know if the rubber grips were standard on the ss or the current wood that is on it. The wood looks like it is in much rougher shape than the rest of the revolver

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The magnaporting if done thru the Colt custom shop would not decrease the value but not add to it either.I don't know if it would be noted on a letter or not.The outer wrapper isn't original.The end label isn't filled out,might be a Sparta Tenn.special.If it is unfired $2500 max taking everything in to consideration.JMO.D*

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
DO you know if the rubber grips were standard on the ss or the current wood that is on it. The wood looks like it is in much rougher shape than the rest of the revolver
During the mid-1990's the 6" and 8" Pythons shipped with the large rubber Pachmayr "Presentation" type grips with Gold medallions, so those are correct.

As above, the cardboard outer box is not original and may well be one of the counterfeit Colt boxes being sold. If it was a factory box, the end label would have been filled out.

Whether the porting is factory original or not is something that only a Colt archive letter will tell >IF< it was done when the gun was originally produced. If it was send back to Colt for the work after purchase, the Archive letter will not have this info, and it may not be possible to determine if it's a factory job.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not so fast on the cardboard box. There are a lot nos picture cardboard boxes out there that are not repros. Don't know how to tell as I haven't seen a repro up close.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have seen Colt Factory letters that stated that Colt had used Magna Porting for porting of their SST Python's. This was on a thread on this forum. If the owner had the gun ported by Colt that sent it to Magna Porting or the owner sent it himself after purchasing it, is that a big difference?As per above the letter would confirm that.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not so fast on the cardboard box. There are a lot nos picture cardboard boxes out there that are not repros. Don't know how to tell as I haven't seen a repro up close.
Do you really think whether the box was made by Colt or some guy in Tennessee affects it's value? I'd say that if the box is not numbered to the gun then it might as well be blue and say Smith & Wesson all over it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I would rather not have a box as to have a repro.It's kinda like a woman with fake.......Never mind I better not go there.D*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts