Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have this engraved pistol that I have had for some time now. I purchased it for $3500 which I thought was fair for an engraved pistol. There is an "I" for the ivory grip. The cylinder is not engraved.

Thank you!

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pistol was made in 1856. I purchased it from the Rampant Colt. This appears to be factory engraved. I do not think this is Gustav. Maybe it was engraved by one of his apprentices? Probably not.

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
Hello all!

I have this engraved pistol that I have had for some time now. I purchased it for $3500 which I thought was fair for an engraved pistol. There is an "I" for the ivory grip. The cylinder is not engraved.

Thank you!

Bob
From the wedge type, I take it that this is a 1849 Pocket? The wear on the engraving seems to indicate that it is original. Many more pics would help. Be sure to include a cocked hammer pic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is an interesting photo of the side of a pistol. This is one that Gustav did. It looks like someone copied his work.This is very similar to one side of my pistol. Maybe this is just one of the patterns that the factory does.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the patterns and their numbers? Amazing! What book is this in? It seems like there were two patterns chosen, one for each side.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Now with more complete pics, I am in agreement with the sentiment: This is a period engraving, and worth good money. It is tough to put a value on it with certainty. But is it worth more than $2,500? Yep. Probably less than $5,000 because of handling wear? Yes, again. I don't think you are hurt with your investment amount. It's a great collectible piece. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What I was getting at was when engravers engraved printing plates they often signed them in such a way that their signature was almost invisible amongst the background but it was there if you looked hard enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts