Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
If I recall from reading Flayderman's long ago, The so called Fluck Dragoon is a very iffy proposition. There are a lot of fakes and (again if I recall correctly) some doubt about the legitimacy of the entire concept. It is certainly a buyer beware type of situation.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If it does not get to high I will bid on it. I think it could be a toss up............address doesn't look just right to me, can't put it in words just looks a little odd.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I thought the Fluck (had to be careful there) variation looked like a 1st model Dragoon except with the Walker gripstrap, grips, and frame where the grips cut into the frame a little. In another words Dragoons first made with leftover Walker parts. This doesn't have that.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I thought the Fluck (had to be careful there) variation looked like a 1st model Dragoon except with the Walker gripstrap, grips, and frame where the grips cut into the frame a little. In another words Dragoons first made with leftover Walker parts. This doesn't have that.
Yes, I noticed that also...

The Revolver looks like a 1st Dragoon and does not have the Walker style of shape where frame and grip-stock meet.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Flayderman pictures a Fluck Dragoon without the cut into the frame that the Walker has. The stocks meet the frame of the gun flat like a 1st Dragoon. The Fluck does utilize the Walker backstrap so has an unusual grip frame. Barrels were Walker barrels that were shortened by Colt to 7 1/2 inches. There were just 300 of these rare birds made. Information from Flayderman's 7th Edition.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I have often wondered how a, Order for a Gun, or, a Letter or Parcel Addressed to "Sam'l Colt, New York City" would have been deliverable?

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Call me a doubting Thomas but who in their right mind would put what they believe to be a correct fluck dragoon on GB with no reserve? I don't know enough to open my mouth about the gun but the method of sale gives me suspisions all day long.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Call me a doubting Thomas but who in their right mind would put what they believe to be a correct fluck dragoon on GB with no reserve? I don't know enough to open my mouth about the gun but the method of sale gives me suspisions all day long.
Wondering about that myself.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
To tell you the truth I have NO KNOWLEGE IF IT IS REAL OR NOT.Looking @ the fact "IT" is being sold by a dealer with no reserve and it is a supposed known rare entity that should be enough to set off SIGNAL FLARES something is very wrong.Grandpa said "If it looks too good to be true it is".I'd follow Grandpa's advice and stay away.JMHO.....MIke

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
That is a great article Mushinto......I saved a copy of the pdf to my hard drive.....I know nothing about Walkers nor Dragoons but that reference material will certainly help.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I thought the Fluck (had to be careful there) variation looked like a 1st model Dragoon except with the Walker gripstrap, grips, and frame where the grips cut into the frame a little. ..
I believe the dragoon variation you refer to with the cutout in the frame for the grips, like the Walker, was the Whitneyville-Hartford dragoon, not the so called Fluck dragoon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just got back from vacation and saw this post. I collect First Model Dragoons and hace several close to this ser. number. The U.S. over the trigger guard is correct for ser number 2000 thur 3000 and this is a second Walker Contract Model Dragoon. Around this ser. number range to pressure ring in the cyclinder started to get more faint and by what I have seen by around ser. number 2700 most were gone.
This gun still as the V spring as many were converted to a flat spring and the stampings look orginal to me. I would need to pull some of mine out and check them. On copys the wood grain often is not running the lenght of the grip but it is correct on this gun. I would have to look at this Dragoon in person to see if it looked right. But from what I had seen its looks good. The size and shape of the serial numbers is what one has to check the most. As for the price its a fair price if it is correct. Secound contracts Dragoons are very hard to come by.

On a Walker or Early Dragoon, One will often find old repairs or replacement parts that were done during the early life of the gun. I have a First Model close to this serial nuimber that has what appears to have a reworked Walker barrel on it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Call me a doubting Thomas but who in their right mind would put what they believe to be a correct fluck dragoon on GB with no reserve? I don't know enough to open my mouth about the gun but the method of sale gives me suspisions all day long.​
Like all of us, I have run into some really stupid dealers. Some are so bad, that I honestly wonder how they don't go belly up. Remember too that the gun could be on consignment and the "$100 start NR" could have been at the request of the owner despite the gunbroker seller protest.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I believe the dragoon variation you refer to with the cutout in the frame for the grips, like the Walker, was the Whitneyville-Hartford dragoon, not the so called Fluck dragoon.
How could i forget that? When I was shopping for a Uberti dragoon I seriously thought about getting a Whitneyville-Hartford model version they make and goes by that name. Which of course has the Walker cutout like you said.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got back from vacation and saw this post. I collect First Model Dragoons and hace several close to this ser. number. The U.S. over the trigger guard is correct for ser number 2000 thur 3000 and this is a second Walker Contract Model Dragoon. Around this ser. number range to pressure ring in the cyclinder started to get more faint and by what I have seen by around ser. number 2700 most were gone.
This gun still as the V spring as many were converted to a flat spring and the stampings look orginal to me. I would need to pull some of mine out and check them. On copys the wood grain often is not running the lenght of the grip but it is correct on this gun. I would have to look at this Dragoon in person to see if it looked right. But from what I had seen its looks good. The size and shape of the serial numbers is what one has to check the most. As for the price its a fair price if it is correct. Secound contracts Dragoons are very hard to come by.

On a Walker or Early Dragoon, One will often find old repairs or replacement parts that were done during the early life of the gun. I have a First Model close to this serial nuimber that has what appears to have a reworked Walker barrel on it.
And thank you for this Texas Man. It's nice to get imput from someone who has several original Dragoons :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.