Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
It could be the lighting but the metalwork looks "soft" to me...I don't think Colt would have done it that way. The box label looks too good plus the handwriting is too neat...those I've seen the handwriting is rushed. It looks like someone tried too hard to make it look genuine.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Whoever polished it had a heavy hand, and generally, Colt did try to be more 'workmanlike' about their polishing than the aftermarket gun butchers did.

I'd pass, and look for something I didn't have to wonder about or explain - Colt made a helluva lot of them.

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
It fairly screams Chola makeover. Hyper-polished - and poorly so - and the box is most likely from Sparta, TN. In the process of screwing around with it, the 2 1/2 barrel could have been screwed on. No evidence remaining of being test-fired at the factory, and Colt's did not clean or polish that evidence off, so "someone" did. If you are serious, a call to Colt would reveal just what it was when it left the factory.

Reactions: Mosby

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
The archives letter is "To whom it may concern". Aren't archives letters addressed to the person ordering it and his address?

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I’ve seen a lot of Colt end labels from that time period and the label does not legit to me. As others have pointed out about the gun,it might be better to look for another one. Pete

Reactions: Kraaaken

·
Registered
458 Posts
one to say away from for many reasons ..........but as to the label ...its a amazingly perfect label on a beat up box without even without getting into the specifics of the label itself

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't think the Ultimate or Bright Stainless Pythons came out until 1985. The serial number of this gun indicates it being manufactured in 1982. The gun looks over polished and the letter looks to be fake as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with comments doubting that this is a complete factory package. The polish has to be an after though and really over done. The factory would not us roll pins for the sight insert that much longer than the width of the sight rail. Even the paper work is bogus for this pistol. A 1982 pistol shipped in 1984 (letter), but the Parts and Service book has a rev. date of 12-88. What's up with that?

Bob M.

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Picture #5, that pony has been abused.
To paraphrase General MacArthur: Old ponies never die. They just fade away....

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I don't think the Ultimate or Bright Stainless Pythons came out until 1985. The serial number of this gun indicates it being manufactured in 1982.
I think you are right on this. I know the earliest BSTS Pythons I remember owning back then we’re all “T” prefix serial numbers that is not to say there were no K prefix BSTS serials but it’s certainly reason to pause.

Check out these two letters with shipment dates 3 days apart,both 2-1/2” BSTS,also note the spread in serial numbers! First pic is the gun in question. Second pic is another GB sale.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
The Label is 100% fake without a doubt. I actually believe the box is a legitimate colt box, not “the box” tho. I’m going to totally step out in a limb here and say I believe the letter is real. Id like to have it in hand to see but I think it is. I might be missing the elephant in the room but that’s my first impression. Label is fake.

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Label is 100% fake without a doubt. I actually believe the box is a legitimate colt box, not “the box” tho. I’m going to totally step out in a limb here and say I believe the letter is real. Id like to have it in hand to see but I think it is. I might be missing the elephant in the room but that’s my first impression. Label is fake.
my thoughts exactly 100% concur

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never seen a Python this shiny, so I'd be leery. To paraphrase an old song - you ain't got a thing if you've got all that bling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Colt letter list the company as Ace Sports Distributing 1319 Lafayette Street
I found the company listed as Ace Sports Distributors 1323 Lafayette Avenue
The fact that Distributing and Distributors and Street and Avenue is inconsistent plus the finish issues, buyer beware.
I am surprised the auction is still up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts