Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

This originally belonged to my Grandfather. He liked to tinker with things and changed this gun. As you may have noticed the barrel has been cut much shorter and the trigger guard cut as well. My question is can this be repaired? I have shot it and it does work, with quite a kick, but it works.
I'm looking to see if it even worth trying to fix.
Thank You for looking.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Not sure if it is repairable or not but my opinion is why change it!?!? That is what Grandpa liked and I would cherish and embrace it just the way it is. It would be a shame to alter it, it is as cool as cool gets.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
If it still shoots, it is not destroyed. But it is probably not worth the expense of restoring, either. I'd say leave the configuration alone, but give it a good soak in a penetrating oil like CorrosionX or Kroil (expensive but worth it), and go over the surface with some 0000 steel wool to clean off the rust and gunk I see. If you take it all the way down to bare metal, it won't hurt it in the future if you keep it oiled. You should clean the interior, too, but if you are not comfortable opening up the gun, just drizzle some penetrating oil into the action and let it soak for a day or two, then blow it out with compressed air and repeat a couple of times.

My feeling is that this is the gun your grandfather wanted, or he would not have modified it. Thus it is a family heirloom in this configuration. If you like this gun as a type, why not buy a similar but unmodified gun as a shooter? That would cost less than getting this one a new barrel, getting the trigger guard welded up, and refinishing the package.

That's a .45, I take it? I think a 1917 in .45 ACP would be easier to find than a 1909 in .45 Colt, but regional distribution is a peculiar thing. You might find a 1909 in your vicinity before you come across a 1917.

Two cents. Value as appropriate. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
As strange as you might think this Colt looks now, this modification was not all that unusual ! I know of at least one detective in Brazoria Co. Texas that had a pair of 1917's "snub'ed". He wore them butt forward, and being as big a guy as he was they did not show when he had his jacket on. The sight of him drawing down on someone with those big bores looking at you gave many a bad guy pause. My understanding is the bark and flame coming out the barrels were inpressive too. The cut away trigger guard is reminisent of a "Fitzed" modification. Fitz was an employee of colt that modified some colts for quick work. cutaway triggerguards and bobed hammers being some of the mods. I would bet that your grandfather saw one and liked the idea. I am like the rest of the people who posted on this. Clean it up, keep it as is, and shoot it in his memory. I would say the only thing extra I might do is get a Brownells catalog and look up their cold blue and use it. I have done some work with it and have been please with the results.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Agree with others that you would stick way more money into restoring it to 1909 specs. ( if that is what it is) than finding an average 1909 Army. Tell us the serial number range and we can tell you the year it was made. The ejector rod head and stocks are not correct for a 1909 but those could have been changed.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Or you could sell it to me!!
I love it. If this was my Grandfather's I would love the fact that he used to carry this thing around. These Fitzed guns are really cool when they were altered long ago. The gun probably had very little if any collector value back when it was modified.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Or sell it to me!

Though twaits does have first dibs of course!

I love the old cut-downs, hack-jobs, modifieds, from back when.

And as others have wisely mentioned - this would make no sense on any level to try and put back, so, if you do want a New Service of the usual form to have and to enjoy and to go shooting with, or, if you want an M1909 specifically, you can find them without much trouble in good or good-enough original condition, and, they were/are wonderful Revolvers.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
People are still hacking and chopping them -- me for instance. My New Service 1921 .45 Colt I did a couple months ago.

Sorry but I never did buy the idea of Fitzing the trigger guard.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Chuck I live just a little south of you and would be happy to check it out for you and tell you if it is functional. I sent a PM if you want to contact me.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
If it runs, then you have a nice piece of history there. It was gramp's gun; it ought to be left alone and put in the pile. Take it out once & a while and admire it and the shoot the tits off it. Iramp would be happy.
If it doesn't run or is unsafe, make sure it is unfireable and keep it in the pile anyway. Take it out and have it on hand as memoribilia or as a conversation item.
Or sell it to twaits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments. I did/do want to keep the gun but was curious about having it restored. All of you are right though, why change a working gun. I have shot it and it IS very smooth. I think when I shot it a couple if months ago, it was the first time in a couple of decades it had been shot. About the only thing I will have done is I'll send it out to be reblued.
Now that I'm an instuctor for the pistol and rifle (soon to be shotgun), it would be nice to have such a nifty gun in class.
Again, thank you all for your input. It was GREATLY appreciated.
Chuck Fries

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Thank you everyone for your comments. I did/do want to keep the gun but was curious about having it restored. All of you are right though, why change a working gun. I have shot it and it IS very smooth. I think when I shot it a couple if months ago, it was the first time in a couple of decades it had been shot. About the only thing I will have done is I'll send it out to be reblued.
Now that I'm an instuctor for the pistol and rifle (soon to be shotgun), it would be nice to have such a nifty gun in class.
Again, thank you all for your input. It was GREATLY appreciated.
Chuck Fries
Also as an instructor you might want to read up on the history of the Fitz special and tell your class about it. You have an interesting example of a Colt turned into one long ago to show them.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Hi Chuck,

If you do wish to keep it, please consider to just get it cleaned and oiled/lubed internally, and, leave the rest alone.

Getting it re-Blued would instantly ruin 97 percent of everything it has going for it, which primarily, is it's uncompromised authenticity and honesty.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Hi Chuck,

If you do wish to keep it, please consider to just get it cleaned and oiled/lubed internally, and, leave the rest alone.

Getting it re-Blued would instantly ruin 97 percent of everything it has going for it, which primarily, is it's uncompromised authenticity, honesty, and endearing ugliness that your very own grampa created.
please allow me to finish your well worded summary.:p

ps, i like the thing, really!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Chuck,

please allow me to finish your well worded summary.:p

ps, i like the thing, really!
I maybe would steel wool down the rough rust spots but definitely leave the remaining blue alone and allow a patina to continue to develop for the next owners a hundred years from now. Just get the internals cleaned and operating flawlessly. It's ugly-cool!:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.