Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if this normal grip frame wear on a Gen 3 (2014) with under 300 rounds? Or is there a problem with the finish?

Thanks for your comments on this!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the bluing be so thin that this could happen? The case color is also faded, which looks like a 2020 version that I saw. I had thought that 2014 guns were generally pretty good with finishes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That bluing loss should not have happened. I’ve shot thousands of rounds through 3rd gen Guns without issue. With that said, it has happened, and the question is why? Jim Martin or LeverActionBill should be able to answer that question for you. My guess is something corrosive has been on your grip frame.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
It could easily be - depending on weather conditions and hot, sweaty hands - as well as a lot of handling.

Human acidty is a pervasive thing, as is humidity and perhaps a long lag in general maintenance.

This is what happens when guns are actually used, and not knelt before as holy relics.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
my opinion on it would be swayed slightly by what the rest of the gun looks like. If most of the sharp edges and high spots look a little worse for wear, then there ya go. Since he’s asking, leads me to believe this is just that area in the photo. I agree with DF6... palm and finger residues are the toughest thing on finish. It’s not too much coin to get it fixed once he‘s ready to make it all pretty again. Wouldn’t do anything while he’s handling it in a regular basis.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct - only real "wear" is on the grip area. I always wipe down and clean any tool after use, but that may not be the same for this owner. This just looked odd for such a low round count and I know Colt doesn't warranty finishes. I was going to contact Colt to find out how much coin this would take to resolve.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Correct - only real "wear" is on the grip area. I always wipe down and clean any tool after use, but that may not be the same for this owner. This just looked odd for such a low round count and I know Colt doesn't warranty finishes. I was going to contact Colt to find out how much coin this would take to resolve.
Oh, so it's not yours? Then any story about how much it was used has to be supported by the evidence of it's finish. This is not really a wear item that the amount of rounds matters, as much as what the PH of his sweat is, and how much he handled it. I've seen some people handle a blued gun, and it starts to etch the finish right away. Others, like me, can touch a blued surface and it doesn't seem to ever rust it.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
How many times in a GS do you see counter person wipe off a gun you’ve handled with some type of treated cloth? People think stainless is
impervious to this but in the wrong human hands it’s not necessarily so. I had a boss once tell me that when “lawyers” sweat it’s not perspiration it’s urine. Pete

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
If you buy the 300 round story I'll find a horse to sell ya :)

I've got guns that get cleaned occasionally, shot hundreds of times if not much more and they still look pretty much new. No question some folks sweat can eat a gun's finish but they generally don't look like that. Wear on the left grip's bottom edge says the gun has been carried some. Wear of the blue on the grip frames says the owner is right handed.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you buy the 300 round story I'll find a horse to sell ya :)

I've got guns that get cleaned occasionally, shot hundreds of times if not much more and they still look pretty much new. No question some folks sweat can eat a gun's finish but they generally don't look like that. Wear on the left grip's bottom edge says the gun has been carried some. Wear of the blue on the grip frames says the owner is right handed.
I didn't buy the bridge yet either and didn't buy that pony. I tend to agree with the assessment that something more may be going on then I was told - but anything is possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have known a person for decades that regularly buys and sells guns. He has commented in the past that a quality gun "cleans itself" every time it's fired. He also disconnected the speedometer cable in his car (30 years ago) so when he sold it later it still had low miles. This may be the type of person you are dealing with here. Believe nothing, verify everything.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Heck ya! I'll eat my words on this one. That is a fine looking used SAA, new 3rd, removable bushing. If you like it I'd make him an offer you are comfortable with. 300 rounds down range is believable when you look at the cylinder. Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a 357 I would probably spend money for a factory refinish. What would be a fair offer to make? He is at 1200.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I think $1200 is more than fair but offer what you are comfortable with. Not a huge demand for 357s. In my mind no need for a factory refinish by any means. The back strap and trigger guard could easily be refinished, reblued for a few $. If you wanted a complete refinish you are looking at well over $1000. Turnbull? Closer to $1500 last I checked.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of $ for a refinish, but it takes time as they just can't dunk it in a tank whole. I know 357's aren't as popular but they are a little cheaper to shoot compared to 45LC.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
You can easily buy a new Colt for what that gun plus the cost of a refinish would set you back. But no question 38 is cheaper to shoot. I was just quoted a simple job by Turnbull and they were 4 months out. I'd bet Colt is longer. It is easy to reblue a SAA if you just want a reblue. Done right a good refinish simply doesn't show.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts