Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Looks legit to me, but it's a bit outside my area of knowledge. The case coloring is faded but everything else looks correct.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
well i thought 38 special was first developed in the late 1890's
and i am not sure when the first use it was but i think it was before 1930's.....
i think it was somewhere in the teens when it was first used
but i have been wrong before and will be wrong again i am sure
God Bless,John

Reactions: 2horses

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
"IF it is...I'm in the wrong business !! ;)"

uh oh, maybe time to begin looking???

Reactions: 2horses

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Check his other auction. The descriptions give the impression he is not very experienced. He would have given more attention to the engraved, gold/silver, carved ivory stocked Colt (undoubtedly refinished, but still valuable) if he was more knowledgeable about the guns.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
The study of Colt single action on page 143 states "There are a also a number of existing factory and private gunsmith conversions of Bisley Model revolvers to the two .38 special calibers"
While Colt did chamber the Bisley in .38 S&W Special it was at a later date than this gun and I can not find any records of Colt chambering the Bisley in .38 Colt Special as an original chambering.
But then with Colt anything is possible.
So is it original? Not likely, but maybe.
Take care, Duane

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
My Smith and Wesson 1899 Army-Navy Model Revolver shipped to New Orleans in 1900. The gun is in .38 Special.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In pic # 13 of the listing it looks like a partial (&) ampersand
Seller thinks it is a 3 (upside down?)
My Smith and Wesson 1899 Army-Navy Model Revolver shipped to New Orleans in 1900. The gun is in .38 Special.

View attachment 759665 View attachment 759666
Fully acknowledge 38 Special was available in 1899.
The question is were Colts available

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Ok, it is complicated. Colt persisted with .38 Colt as .38 Colt Special. The letter will offer up .38 Colt, but not .38 Smith and Wesson Special. The former had a square shoulder in the chamber and the latter a tapered shoulder in the chamber. The cartridges were the SAME. An early gun such as this would be. 38 Colt Special if correct.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I am going with Colt refinish and rebarrel to 38 Special. A letter would certainly clear up some things. Presence of bin numbers would confirm refinish by Colt. When blown up you can clearly see an ampersand on the trigger guard bow. Every picture looks like someone has played in the checkering on the grips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts