Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time I fired a Colt revolver while in AF ROTC and fell in love with gun. A couple of years ago I picked up a Colt revolver that looked like my mental image of that long ago Colt. But not owning other Colts, I was clueless. LSS (Long Story Short) what I have is a Police Positive Special 4" barrel, serial # 391XX. Serial numbers match on frame and crane. Proofhouse,

http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

shows that this revolver was made in 1912. But there ain't no way this gun is that old. There are no patent numbers on the right side of the barrel. the right side text is:

COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CONN.U.S.A.

The left side says

POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL
38 SPECIAL CTG.

The trigger is smooth, the hammer is striated, the top strap has striations (coining) on both sides of the sight groove. The front blade sight has striations as well. The left side plate has a rampant colt with a stick in its mouth, no circle "C". The ejector is exposed.

The finish is matte silver, what I would expect from unpolished nickel plating. The rifling is very good and the gun looks like it may have fired 100 rounds total.

Is it possible that this is really a 93 year-old gun? If I can find a webserver, I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Actually, I read the s/n listed to be from 1911, but the later style barrel and hammer seem to have been replaced sometime in it's life. The year 1911 PPS production started with s/n 35500 and ended at s/n 51000.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Photos of really old PPS

Something must be wacky with your serial numbers, as your photos show a ca. 1968 PPS.

For a pre-WWI PPS, it has the wrong frame, barrel, hammer, cylinder latch, and stocks (and that's just what I can see in the photos). Try double checking the numbers again and see if you can add another digit...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here is the frame serial

Here is the serial inside the side plate

Here are the guts

Here is the short grip strap casting

Do these pictures help to clarify anything?

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

First number looks like a 3. That would make it a 1977 PPS. Definite short butt D frame. Markings look pretty good. Did factory do any electroless nickel then or is it a factory or aftermarket refinish? Must be a late "third issue" because the rod is not shrouded? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
909 Posts

It does. The M is part of your serial number. The Gun Control Act of 1968 required that any new guns made in the US have serials composed of both numerals and letters. Older Colts had a letter stamped near the serial which was an assembly number, but not part of the serial. This puts your PPS at 1977 (19201M-59999M). HTH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts