Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If pythons never came with such serial numbers it just may appear like its a Y it may be a K.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Trooper and Lawman MK III models had a "Y" Prefix, I'm unaware of a Python with a "Y" Prefix serial number.

Thank you!

I was looking at the pictures he sent me and I remembered a post a while back that talked about 'Poopers' or something like that!

Basically a Python barrel on Trooper frame!

Had I not looked close at the picture with the cylinder open I would have been buying it today!

·
Registered
879 Posts
A colt python will only have 1 screw in the frame below the cylinder while a trooper will have 2 screws. The picture provided has the cylinder opened and cant see the screws. That's a sure sign to tell.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
It very well could be a "V" serial number.I have seen them with an extremely skinny V that looked like a Y.If you use a 10x glass it will help to determine the first letter.JMO D*

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,428 Posts
Yes Face to Face! Called Colt they said its a 1979. Would those grips have come on it factory?Eddie
No. That era of Python would have shipped with Third Type Colt Target walnut grips.

Third Type Colt Python grips.
Note the checkering in a straight line under the medallions, "thumb rests" on both sides, and Gold medallions.

Heart Metal

·
Registered
645 Posts
For $2000 plus, You should be receiving not only a gun in high condition, but it should include the factory wood grips as shown in DFW's post.
If that gun has bluing wear, dings, boogered screws, scratches, any abuse, then it's not worth paying $2000.
If You really want the gun, make a low offer in cash.......You can always go up, but almost never come down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.