Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have gathered from the experts on the site the grips do not look original to me not sure about the sites as well. Trying to get a date on the gun right now I don’t know if it’s a later model and the rubber grips were right? Who knows let me know what you think you guys are smarter than me but I am way better looking. Colt Python 4” Stainless *PRICE DROP*

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
That is no safe queen...if it hasn't seen regular use it has seen some indifferent handling and care. There's no claim whether the bright stainless finish is factory or done later. The Colt/Pachmayr Grippers were available at the time but whether the factory installed them is an open question.

It's a stainless Python...it has value but also questions to be asked and answered before forking over the asking price. Why was the price lowered? Were they asking too much or is there another reason why no one was buying it?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The pics aren’t great but the finish looks “over polished”, makes me think it’s not an original Colt bright stainless but who knows given how abused the finish looks. The rampant Colt looks weak and the front sight pins don’t look original. Personally, it just looks “off” to me... I wouldn’t pursue it further unless it’s a shooter that you are seeking to add to your safe and you can get it at a lower price...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If you had it in front of you what’s the out the door price
$1500.... I don’t believe it’s the original finish based on what I shared earlier. Of course, I prefer blued finishes so I’ll only pay for a non-blued finish when it’s my only choice (e.g., Anaconda) or a heck of deal...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you request photo's of the box and paperwork?
Not yet, here in Mass I found That pissing on someone’s boots and telling them you’re pissing on their boots is not well taken. Sadly there is a massive case of “c,o,l,t = $$$$” I had a pal a few months ago with a police positive. I told him I HAD the gun in every caliber, and wasn’t interested in buying it. When I told him it was @ $500 gun he thought I was scamming him. Sad. I very rarely lie or cheat 😉and when it comes to guns I am brutally honest. Sadly he did not seem to share my Opinions

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not yet, here in Mass I found That pissing on someone’s boots and telling them you’re pissing on their boots is not well taken. Sadly there is a massive case of “c,o,l,t = $$$$” I had a pal a few months ago with a police positive. I told him I HAD the gun in every caliber, and wasn’t interested in buying it. When I told him it was @ $500 gun he thought I was scamming him. Sad. I very rarely lie or cheat 😉and when it comes to guns I am brutally honest. Sadly he did not seem to share my Opinions
1500? That's starting to get in the realm of reasonable I'd think. There are real experts on this site who can be of more help. But I don't care for rubber, tho. Rubber grips on a Python are like plastic seat covers on a Bentley. Perhaps you could whine at him to go lower, as you will have to pop for actual Python grips? Or reasonable facsimile......?

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
I am not familiar with that site. I am surprised that a gun can be listed on the site without an asking price.

What do you think is wrong with the sights? The pins look wrong to me. I suspect the front sight blade has been replaced. I think the pins and blade could be "rehabilitated" to look correct if originals cannot be found.

If the gun is truly stainless steel, and I think it is, the finish can be "corrected" as necessary. If it is indeed originally bright stainless, the surface scratches can be polished away. If it was originally a brushed finish, some work with the proper grit SchotchBrite pad will return it to original appearance.

The stocks should be "Signature" model stocks with silver medallions. Silver medallion "Signature" stocks may be hard to find, but not impossible.

Stainless Pythons are valuable. If the price is right, this one could be a good buy after some improvements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want, compare it to the photos of my Python in the SAA section under “Ivory” here: Ivory?

Mine’s a 1991 BSS. Notice the difference in front sight pins; one versus two and better fitted. My orange front sight insert is original. Grips are not; replaced w/ elephant ivory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts