Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea. I am new to this. Still learning who are reputable and who arent but that does answer my question. LOL I am going with NO. I am guessing it is worth about what you could get for scrap metal?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Oh someday there will be a Millionaire browsing through and have to have that on display in their office and of course the money will be of no consequence. You can ask millions of people what that is worth and you will get millions of different answers.

Simply put, that is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Without some sort of documented provenance, for example a pickup from the Gettysburg Battlefield, Its value to me would be negligible and only have minor curiosity value. In other words not worth squat :)

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
"Dugups" as they are known, do bring serious money, especially those complete and looking like they may have been lost while in use, more so where it can be imagined during combat. The one shown looks more like it was a piece of junk when it was lost or discarded, with the possible exception that the screws holding the grip frame rusted away, allowing its loss. In my mind it takes a stretch of imagination to believe that.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
While the asking price of this piece does seem rather optimistic, the value of any item in this sphere of collecting is down to the buyer. If you collect dug-ups then you may want this piece in your collection, regardless of the price. I personally would not pay the prices you guys shell out for a Python even if they were allowed over here. And I would have to be very high on some sort of intoxicating substance before I would even dream of buying a second generation percussion at the asking prices. It's all down to what YOU think it's worth - if you buy it, then it is worth the money to you. If you don't think it's worth the price then you will pass and someone else will scoop it up as there valuation is different to yours.
Fortunately we all have different interests and values, which is what makes this forum so interesting.

Rio

P.S. If you do collect dug-ups and want this item, don't expect too much discount from Collectors Firearms. :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wherever there is an item, there is a collector for it. There is a definite market for "dug-ups".
Several years ago, a Mexican farmer dug up a lump of rust while plowing on what had been a battlefield during the war between Mexico and the US. The lump of rust, upon close examination, turned out to be the remains of a Colt Walker. The lump of rust ultimately was sold at auction for around $50,000.
In another case, another lump of rust was dug up in Northern California during highway construction about 25 years ago. This one, upon being x-rayed, turned out to be the remains of a Texas Paterson. Again, a 50K relic.
You guys should only to be so lucky as to find such "lumps of rust"!

·
Registered
541 Posts
And here I worry about a revolver having a turn line on the cylinder. The 'special' person who buys this 1860 relic won't be particularly concerned of this item having any handling markings.

Question - I didn't think the Colt BP's had a rear sight on the barrel. Is this an add on?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It is priced high because it is on the allowable firearm list for importation to Ca. Jerry Brown, Nancy and Barbara would all approve of a resident there purchasing this.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
For the same dough, one could buy a very decent 2nd Generation Colt m1860 ( which of course is not the same as a 'dug-up' Relic, but...) or be maybe about 1/3rd of the way into a decent-enough 1st Generation one.

I enjoy seeing old 'dug up' Relics and they are always interesting, especially if there is info about where they were dug up.

I am sure there are a handful or more of Walkers still laying a few inches below the top soil, as well as who knows how many other old Guns lost in Battles or in Skirmishes or in Bush-Wacking incidents or misadventure falls from a Horse, or lost one way or another.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the short version is sometimes a pile of. Rust iron is just a pile of rusty iron. But sometimes a pile of rusty iron is actually a brick of gold. Who would have guessed that Michael Angelo was right. You can turn lead into gold. Lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts