Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
On one of those models (5th??) the front sight wasn't pinned, it was fixed/welded to the barrel IIRC. Don't have access to my S&W book today so can't verify that. It may be only for longer barrel models. Something to check on though if you want to buy it........

rayb

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I've never heard of this model. I'll have to check my S&W books to check about it. I'm always sceptical about something like this if I can't check it out.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Cool looking gun!! But way over my pocket change level. Twaits how come you haven't bid on it yet??

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The one pictured in the Supica book both discusses and shows a pinned front sight even though the 5th models normally had forged front sight. My issue is that I believe the short barrel guns had the rib slightly shorter than the barrel, this one appears flush. Jim Supica now works at the national fire arms museum in Virginia maybe you could contact him for a review and validation.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that these exist with 1.5" barrels but like it says in the listing, they are exceptionally rare. I think there is a member of the S%W forum that has one in .32
If I remember correctly some of them have lettered to some place where there was a miners strike? Something about strike violence and some people special ordering these really short barreled S&Ws.

Oh...and no I'm not rich enough to bid. I wouldn't mind finding a junker to turn into one of these though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Never heard of a New Departure "Banker´s model" and I´ve never seen walnut grips on a Safety Hammerless model.

The grips on that gun looks like I-frame round butt grips fitted to a New Departure grip. The absence of rollmarks in the barrel and the presence of a pinned front sight doesn´t seem correct either.

Only a letter could tell for sure but my guess is that is not original.

Hard to imagine someone is going to pay the asking price without (at least) an authentication letter from Mr. Jinks.

Regards.-

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
If it is not legit...then someone of great skill put thousands of dollars worth of effort into making a very compelling fake!

I will guess it is legit...but, of course, without a 'Letter' one is left with some sense of pause.

Given how easy it is to obtain a Letter, why would the Seller not have done so???

Odd...

Or, maybe there was a 'Letter' and the Letter said it had some usual barrel length and was thus an embarassment instead of being something to show off.

Which would be quite a limbo then, since this COULD indeed be 'legit', regardless of what a Letter says, and, there are known instances where the testimony of the Letter seems to be mistaken, even as original Ledger entries were not always correct, so...

Golly...

Who knows?

I wish this delightful little Revolver were a few hundred bucks at my local Pawn Shop or local Gun Show, and, I would just spring for it and never look back, and see what my 'Letter' says once it arrives...Lol...that would be fun.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
For what it is worth the seller is Fountain Firearms of Houston. A well respected purveyor of old, rare and esoteric firearms. I doubt yhey would risk their well respected name on a known fake. That said, for the money, I would get a letter to remove all doubt. Has anyone ask the seller if a letter exists verifying the gun?

FWIW! I called Orin at Fountain Firearms. A letter was requested 3-4 weeks ago they are waiting for the responce. The rib is slightly shorter than the barrel crown which is correct if factory. They are in no hurry to sell if they don't get their price. They will post the letter when it comes in.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Fountain Firearms has never been a bargain house, by any means, even when Jerry was alive.
They had an argentine 1911a1 at the show this weekend (nice meeting you, Mike) for $2k just as an example of their high pricing. this wasn't an early run colt rollmark, either.

they are an honest business, however and i trust their judgement, for the most part.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking forward to seeing the letter. I'm surprised that it's taken this long to get one with such a rare gun.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
It is so cute!!!

Lol...

Now me and twaits and who-knows-who-else will be all wound up again, and pouring over Gunbroker looking for a candidate 'New Departure' to whack 'down' into a Poor Man's version.

Heck, I already HAVE been looking off and on for a few years now anyway...but have not found the right Candidate yet...even pausing to consider some other makes...

Now, there is a little oddness in one of the images of the Auction Listing to which this Thread's initial Post directs us with the Link -

In the image of the front sight seen from the right side, there is what appears to be a very thin sort of 'puddle' co-responding to the length of the Site, on the Barrel Rib.

pix038116532.jpg

This does not seem to be a reflection...so, if it is not, then some Eyes may suppose it to suggest a little Solder overflow-smear or something, which of course would be not so good.

Otherwise I myself do not see anything to question about it, and, I have seen a number of New Departures or Safety Hammerless having Walnut Stocks, though of course I do not know if they were original to the Revolver or not. but I t-h-i-n-k one could get these Revolvers with them starting fairly early on by request.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Except that it ( the 'puddle' or 'reflection') has a divit or deficit or goes 'in' then back out in one spot toward the front, and this does not co-respond to any deviaiton in surface or height on the Barrel Rib...and does not co-respond to any notch in the front of the Sight.

May well be a reflection...but, seems odd to me anyway...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts