Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure about the price..probably high..... the area below the cyl. sure turns me off, or, is that the pictures?....learning experience for me

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm no expert on these. I would say Price, Condition, Caliber, Grips kinda look not original ? Another problem with this particular revolver is the Starting Bid. Even if this is an odd ball and Rare model. People who will bid $2999 as a starting bid know Exactly what they are bidding on. That price puts it in the Collectors Collector market.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the other ones I’ve seen on there have gone for under 1500 including the 2 I have had myself.
this one is just a bit pricey for me but I do like it

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think if he started it $100 on auction is would Prob reach around 1500 going on all the other Russians that have sold on there over the last year or so. Even if he was sensible and put a reserve on at $2999 at least he would see what people think it’s really worth.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
He is probably testing the waters on value and does not really want to sell it, but would take that money if someone wanted to bid it. That's the "I don't really want to sell it" price.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
The gun looks correct, is priced fairly and certainly collectible. If I needed one I would jump on it. It usually takes a serious Colt collector or New Service colletor to go after these. The barrel marking was from 1900-1912 when Colt chambered it for the .44 Russian. In January of 1913 Colt sent a directive down to manufacturing instructing them to chamber all New Services going forward to handle both the .44 Russian and .44 S&W Special which was 1/16" longer. It was an easy change as the Colt manufacturing just bored the cylinders a little deeper and re-marked the barrel. These early guns will not handle the .44 Special so it is really the serious collectors who go after them.

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
He is probably testing the waters on value and does not really want to sell it, but would take that money if someone wanted to bid it. That's the "I don't really want to sell it" price.
Actually these are quite collectible to the serious New Service collector and generally sell for about $4000. I paid $4250 for the last one that I had in my collection and then a freak of nature popped up that was in new condition and I paid $5500 for it.

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
I'm no expert on these. I would say Price, Condition, Caliber, Grips kinda look not original ? Another problem with this particular revolver is the Starting Bid. Even if this is an odd ball and Rare model. People who will bid $2999 as a starting bid know Exactly what they are bidding on. That price puts it in the Collectors Collector market.
The grips are correct for the year of the gun. The gun dates to 1908 and that is several years before Colt started installing the deep-set medallions in them.

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
All the other ones I’ve seen on there have gone for under 1500 including the 2 I have had myself.
this one is just a bit pricey for me but I do like it
It's the caliber that makes it desirable to collectors. Since I have made a few comments on the gun I want to make it clear that I do not know the seller and have no connection to him. Since I collect these I felt that I should add comments where they might help.

Cam.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Actually these are quite collectible to the serious New Service collector and generally sell for about $4000. I paid $4250 for the last one that I had in my collection and then a freak of nature popped up that was in new condition and I paid $5500 for it.

Cam.
Holy crap! :)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Cam.
the one you paid 4000 for what was the condition Like compared to this one

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There’s another one been put up now, this was listed 3 weeks ago with a starting price of 2250 and it didn’t sell but but he has raised the price by 500.

I’m confused lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts