Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found in a group of guns in an attic...is this a flat top target? Serial number puts it at 1895. Only pics I have but am sure it's original...looks unmolested, some flaking blue...
Value???

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sure looks like the real deal! An attic?, is that like a family members attic? Good for you.

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a family members, (I wish).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Sort of at a loss as to where pricing should be. Past auction results look to be in the $6-10K range depending on barrel length, caliber, condition. Condition on this looks pretty good, no buggered screws, barrel is the standard 7.5" but you say .38 Colt is unusual, so maybe on the higher end of the scale...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Sure looks like the real Flattop SAA in 38 Colt from the 1890's. Both front and rear sights are correct. All markings look proper for the period. Did the flap holster come with it?

The frame is probably blued, rather than case hardened. That was normal of FT's. How much blue, percentage wise? That largely determines price on this Colt, more so than caliber.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flap Holster will come with it. I'm going to venture +80% blue.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
There's a VP, proof stamp on the trigger guard. Those don't start until 1904. Possibly a later grip frame? It shoud have a matching serial number. Looks like a great find reguardless. There must be a treasure chest in that attic. What were the other guns?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
There's a VP, proof stamp on the trigger guard. Those don't start until 1904. Possibly a later grip frame? It shoud have a matching serial number. Looks like a great find reguardless. There must be a treasure chest in that attic. What were the other guns?
Though the majority of Flat Top SAAs were made from 1888-1895, the BOCF list the production of .38 Colt SA Targets at 122 and made up to 1914.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The serial number is 16XXXX, Colt's website puts it as 1895. There were a couple of other interesting pieces, none as nice as this. Some old S&W's and Winchesters, lots of beat up military weapons. I'm not sure how to move this to the SAA subforum.

I contacted the owner, she has a dealer coming over today, she'll contact me when he's done. Tough for the collector here in NY, you just can't take it with you without an FFL.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
The owner needs to be wary of a 'dealer's' appraisal. Someone with some knowledge should be present as well, so that the appraisal isn't the "old gun, not worth much, I'll give you 200 to get it off your hands" routine. Not saying it will happen, but it does. With that being said, I'm off to check my attic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I warned her about that...asked her to get back to me before doing anything rash...hope springs eternal.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Though the majority of Flat Top SAAs were made from 1888-1895, the BOCF list the production of .38 Colt SA Targets at 122 and made up to 1914.
These were probably slow sellers.
maybe the frame sat in inventory and was assembled after the VP began
needs a letter

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, too late, dealer came in with his FFL and took it. Exciting for a while. Thanks to all for the info, hope you enjoyed the vicarious thrill and weren't too disappointed....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts