Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my new Colt Defender 90. I've taken it, after a cleaning, to the range, and shot 2 different brands of 9mm, both 115gr. 25 rounds each. The gun is accurate, fits me well and I would like it to be my daily carry, however, almost every round jammed.

With both the supplied magazines, the rounds would go boom, the bullet fly, and the cartridge would get stuck in the slide, horizontal a few times, mostly vertical. Not good traits for a carry gun....

Brought it back to the dealer and they test fired it with another brand ammo, still 115gr...no issues with either magazine....and I took the rest of the box of ammo....He suggested that I might need a firmer grip, thus allowing the gun to absorb the recoil to work the slide, rather than allowing my arms to absorb the recoil....

Off to the range this morning...Got 3 rounds out with out an issue, and I don't think I changed my shooting style, the 4th round jammed horizontally, with the round still intact....

It seems that the gun is not able to cycle the slide. Any suggestions or observations, short of more powerful rounds...

Thanks....

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
The dealer suggested what I was about to as I was reading this. Since he had no problems it really does sound like you may not be holding the gun firmly enough. A lot of us learned to shoot hand guns on revolvers. We learned to allow the gun to recoil upward to dissipate the felt pressures. With a short barreled auto, try to imagine letting the recoil come straight back into your hands while keeping the gun firmly level. With a little practice that should tell you if it is the gun, the light bullet weight ammo or you. :cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I always get nervous about the 'limpwrist' excuse for malfs. While I agree with Colt above as far as learning on revos (and as old bullseye shooters, we kinda relaxed our grip as the shot broke so as to not disturb it), in a 'poop hits the fan' scenario, there may not be enough time to take a really proper grip.
BTW, does this model have a 1911 style extractor?
Moon

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jets,
To paraphrase Colt: If it doesn't work, send it back. There is no multiple hundred round break in for Colts. I have had no problems out of mine, but my thoughts are as follows:
1. Let another buddy shoot it and see if he can duplicate it. Every round jamming is unheard of.
2. Check to make sure the spring is installed properly and is free to operate.
3. Lube. Are the rails lubed? Is the barrel hood (the highest friction point on a 1911) lubed prior to firing?
4. I assume you are using well known name brand ammo, and not bulk remanufactured reloads.
5. FTE & stove pipes seem within the purvey of an extractor issue, or recoil spring power.

If it was me, I'd properly lubricate it, shoot another box through it with a friend and if that didn't work, send it back.

Mine's run like an old singer sewing machine (it was made in 2010.)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm suspicious of the extractor as well. What's the drill, with the slide removed, a 230 FMJ round should just barely hold in the extractor against the breechface? If it's so tight it can't be shaken loose, or so loose that it won't hold the round, the extractor needs adjustment.
Moon

·
Registered
136 Posts
"Failures to extract are usually related to an extractor with too little tension. With too little tension, the brass is not held
securely long enough in the cycle to be properly ejected. The brass is allowed to loosely float around as the pistol cycles.
The brass hits the ejector in a non-uniform manner and ejection is very random. One case may be tossed several feet,
another case may just barely clear the edge of the ejection port."
- (page 3) http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/documents/bt002002.pdf

Jets, does this seem like your issue? If it is an extractor tension issue, I'd let Colt adjust it. If your buddy can empty magazine after magazine without any issue it might be more of a proper grip issue. Shooting the 1911 isn't supposed to be rocket science. Just give Colt a call and a full description of your findings and let the pros make it right for you.

-HRoad

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am way far from an expert , but I would clean it , lube the rails and where the round feeds with mobil one. Run 100 rounds through it rapid as possible , clean it again and try it. If that don't fly trip to colt. I had similar issues with one and this took care of it. Hold it firm. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry I don't have a link for adjusting the extractor, but it is as easy as falling off a bridge, tho' it does require some patience. Among the charms of the 1911 platform is the ability to use the gun as its own toolbox; you detail strip the slide, put the extractor in its hole from the rear, and push it against something to bend it. I had similar issues with a (harrrrrrrumph) Springfield GI replica; after adjusting the extractor tension, the problem went away entirely.
I'll admit some perplexity to the gun working for some folks and not others, but if it's a marginal issue, grip may affect it.
Moon

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I had the same issue shooting 115 dr with a new 38 Super and the threadColt 38 Super Range report -Not Prettywas very helpful. Bottom line was to disassemble, clean factory packing lube and lubricate (I used CLP) and went to 130 gr bullets. Now fires perfect with both 115 and 130 gr.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Excellent. The more you shoot it, the smoother it should get.

I like putting a little Tetra gun grease on the rails and on the barrel hood. It works into the metal over time and helps keep things rockin'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.