Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Colt PP's in .32..... Both first issue. One in SS and one in blue. My other 1st Issue PP in .38, shoots only .38 S&W. Would I have to source .32 S&W for the .32 calibers 1st issue as well?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What do you mean by 'Source?" The PP revolver should chamber both .32 S&W and the .32 Long S&W cartridges, and should not be too hard to find. Not that I recommend the practice, but most .32 revolvers will fire the .32 ACP also, as it is semi-rimmed. Bullet is a bit small however.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Some of the early Police Positives chambered the .32 Colt which is different from the .32 Colt New Police.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Fugio, the one you describe as SS (stainless steel, I think you mean?) is not stainless steel. It's either a factory nickel finish, or an aftermarket refinish in nickel or chrome. The first stainless steel gun wasn't made until the mid 60s. It was a stainless steel S&W Chief's Special called the Mod 60.

Colt 75 is right. Before there was a .32 Long S&W or .32 Colt New Police, Colt had a caliber called the .32 Colt. I am not sure if it is interchangeable with .32 New Police, but I don't think it is. Be careful to check the barrel markings and if you're not sure, just ask here.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm confused about just what revolver is involved here - please clarify. If it is chambered in .32 Colt or .32 Colt Long, forget finding the ammunition, as I don't believe it has been manufactured for a long time. If it is chambered for .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long, it can be found, or use .32 ACP. Due to the difference in chamber diameter, .32 S&W cartridges will not fit into a .32 Colt chamber.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
32 Short Colt ammunition is still in production by Winchester. Graf & Son and Midway carry it. It is the correct heel style bullet and shoots very well from my 1907 Pocket Positive and my 1910 Police Positive. The 32 Colt, Long or Short is not interchaneable with the 32 New Police, 32 Police Or the 32 S&W Long or original(not called short, just 32 S&W) The 32 Colt rounds will chamber and fire in the 32 Police, New Police, 32 S&W Long but the case may split, as the out side dimensions of the S&W round is larger than the Colt round. 32 Long Colt can still be found, I picked up three boxes of late production (1990+/-) for 75$ about 4 months ago.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two Colt PP's in .32..... Both first issue. One in SS and one in blue. My other 1st Issue PP in .38, shoots only .38 S&W. Would I have to source .32 S&W for the .32 calibers 1st issue as well?
by source I mean where to get the ammo..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean by 'Source?" The PP revolver should chamber both .32 S&W and the .32 Long S&W cartridges, and should not be too hard to find. Not that I recommend the practice, but most .32 revolvers will fire the .32 ACP also, as it is semi-rimmed. Bullet is a bit small however.
This why I am asking. Forget the ACP I wouldn't put these old girls through that ammo. So 32 long or short should be ok...?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fugio, the one you describe as SS (stainless steel, I think you mean?) is not stainless steel. It's either a factory nickel finish, or an aftermarket refinish in nickel or chrome. The first stainless steel gun wasn't made until the mid 60s. It was a stainless steel S&W Chief's Special called the Mod 60.

Colt 75 is right. Before there was a .32 Long S&W or .32 Colt New Police, Colt had a caliber called the .32 Colt. I am not sure if it is interchangeable with .32 New Police, but I don't think it is. Be careful to check the barrel markings and if you're not sure, just ask here.
Yes nickel My mistake. Long day. My main question is should I look to buy .32 Long or short Colt?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm confused about just what revolver is involved here - please clarify. If it is chambered in .32 Colt or .32 Colt Long, forget finding the ammunition, as I don't believe it has been manufactured for a long time. If it is chambered for .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long, it can be found, or use .32 ACP. Due to the difference in chamber diameter, .32 S&W cartridges will not fit into a .32 Colt chamber.

I do use .38 S&W in my PP .38 from 1912. I didn't know .32 S&W was made for the .32 Thanks........ Fugio

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
32 Short Colt ammunition is still in production by Winchester. Graf & Son and Midway carry it. It is the correct heel style bullet and shoots very well from my 1907 Pocket Positive and my 1910 Police Positive. The 32 Colt, Long or Short is not interchaneable with the 32 New Police, 32 Police Or the 32 S&W Long or original(not called short, just 32 S&W) The 32 Colt rounds will chamber and fire in the 32 Police, New Police, 32 S&W Long but the case may split, as the out side dimensions of the S&W round is larger than the Colt round. 32 Long Colt can still be found, I picked up three boxes of late production (1990+/-) for 75$ about 4 months ago.
I am aware of the correct heel style since I have the .38 PP from 1912 that only shoots .38 S&W One can't use the .38 sp that fits later models of the 1st issue exactly because of the heel issue.

So, in this case, it seems the .32 short Colt is the way to go..Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I haven't picked it up yet from my FFL so I plan to check barrel marking since I couldn't see from the pic...I also plan to run the SN when I take delivery. I only paid $325 for it so I'm not to concerned about it being a closet queen I'd rather shoot it here and there anyway...that's why I bought it

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Correct MY 38 PP chambers only .38 S&W. Too early for the .38 sp.
The .38 Police Positive isn't too early for the .38 Special, it's too small. The cylinder is too short for the length of the .38 Special, hence the concurrent Police Positive Special.

Reactions: Malysh

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The .38 Police Positive isn't too early for the .38 Special, it's too small. The cylinder is too short for the length of the .38 Special, hence the concurrent Police Positive Special.
I wasn't alluding to the PP Special just the PP 1st issues from 1907 -1927 All they take are the 38 New Police and .38 S&W I see now the .32 is chambered for 32 Colt, 32 New Police

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was aware of the chamber difference in the PP 1st issue. I looked up the rounds for the 1st issue and found the 32 takes the Colts and the New Police. Same for the .38 PP 1st Issue. They take 38 New Police and 38 S&W, which I stocked up on, when I found a sale on them. Now I have to hunt the .32 Colts or New Police for my 32 PP's.

Thanks for everyone's help here........... Great forum

·
Registered
670 Posts
I was aware of the chamber difference in the PP 1st issue. I looked up the rounds for the 1st issue and found the 32 takes the Colts and the New Police. Same for the .38 PP 1st Issue. They take 38 New Police and 38 S&W, which I stocked up on, when I found a sale on them. Now I have to hunt the .32 Colts or New Police for my 32 PP's.

Thanks for everyone's help here........... Great forum
Not quite. Let's start from the beginning. If the barrel is marked Colt .32 DA it is Colt .32 long and short, which is not the same as the other markings. Which are; if the barrel is marked Colt .32 New Police it will fire Colt New Police rounds, not either the Colt short or Long, but the same as .32 S&W or .32 S&W long...but with a flattened nose. Old Colt .32 (long & short) cartridges will not interchange with the .32 New police/.32 S&W/S&W long cartridges. Confused enough? Read again...slowly.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not quite. Let's start from the beginning. If the barrel is marked Colt .32 DA it is Colt .32 long and short, which is not the same as the other markings. Which are; if the barrel is marked Colt .32 New Police it will fire Colt New Police rounds, not either the Colt short or Long, but the same as .32 S&W or .32 S&W long...but with a flattened nose. Old Colt .32 (long & short) cartridges will not interchange with the .32 New police/.32 S&W/S&W long cartridges. Confused enough? Read again...slowly.
Why would the 33rd edition Blue Book then read about the PP 1st issue:

.32 colt .32 New Police....38 New Police .38 S&W

for acceptable rounds?

I respect you knowledge but think we are straying from the initial question. I was only interested in the PP 32 1st issue

Thanks for your considerable efforts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts