Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't pass it up today. I wasn't even out for a rimfire but this Pre Woodsman (pencil bbl, plastic grips, 2 mags, no box or lit) SN 29XXX, price $299 just leapt out of the counter and jumped me. It took all of the shop's employees to contain it.

I would say that it is in Good condition. The bbl blue is heavily worn and there are some scratches on the frame. I looked up the online Colt Woodsman Pocket Guide (why does he publish it all online when he is also trying to sell the book?) and saw that this gun might have been made in 1922. I also saw that it is rated for SV ammo only.

I can't wait til pick up day

My Smiths will be pissed hehehe.

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
NRA Life Mbr

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
You are getting a Variant 2 pistol made in the serial number range from 23,000 to 30,500, which is one of the rarer variations with only 7,500 made. If the pistol is in "Good" original condition as you say, it is worth more than you are paying. Are you sure it is not a reblue at that price? Are you sure it is in "Good" condition if the blue is heavily worn?

What kind of plastic stocks does it have? The gun would originally have had wood stocks with a "diamond" around the screw areas. (If you are going to grow up to be a Colt guy, you need to know that Colt calls those wood thingies on each side of the butt "stocks!")

Are the magazines the correct style with the square springs and brass follower? If so, you are almost getting the gun for free at that price since such early magazines often bring well over $100 on eBay.

You are right that the pistol was originally chambered for standard velocity ammunition, but many have been modified with later mainspring housings. (That hurts the value but helps the shooting.) Does the housing have the checkered dismount spot (standard velocity), or the serrations (high speed)?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted the shooting review in the autos section.

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
NRA Life Mbr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts