Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It ain\'t a Colt, but it\'s close...

Last year I bought a 5 1/2" Uberti Cimmaron in .45 Colt and put a couple hundred rounds through it feeling it out. Not bad grouping really but it shot about 4" low (typical for a fixed sight SA) and about 6-7" left..... I had to shoot at the target to the right of the one I wanted to hit in order to get it on the paper! Well I finally sat down today and got serious about fixing the problem. Turned the barrel into the frame a tad and milled a little off the right side of the rear sight groove then filed down the front sight a bit. After another couple hundred rounds and filing/milling a little at a time (the filing/milling is so minute it's not even noticable), it now shoots where it looks! Centered L to R and about 1" high at 25 yds. It ain't a Colt, but it's the next best thing and and about 1/4 the price! I had a fixed sight Colt SAA in .357/5 1/2" bbl several years ago and sold it and a Colt New Frontier in .45/7 1/2" bbl that I sold about 3 years back, still kicking myself for both sales.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: It ain\'t a Colt, but it\'s close...

I'll tell ya what. I've never been comfortable shooting a $1600 SAA. Mainly because I couldn't afford them in the first place, and secondly, I knew the minute I fired a round I would lose big time when I went back to trade it (as I always do). Sounds like what you did would be much more practical to have a gun to actually shoot.

[This message has been edited by col132 (edited 02-11-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: It ain\'t a Colt, but it\'s close...

I disagree. I've bought a number of Colt SAA's that were 20 or 30 years old and unfired. I paid a lot more than the original owner of the gun did, true, but they would have made more money with smart investing and they didn't get the pleasure of shooting a fine firearm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts