Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello The Forum !
A new guy here, I've been dropping in from time to time and have learned a lot....
An Official Police in .38 spcl followed me home today. It is a LE trade-in piece that just intriqued me....it appears to have been a pistol team piece, I guess that is what did it, as I did a stint in PPC back in the dark ages (or so it seems). Someone fitted it with Micro front & rear sights and did a nice job of it. Hammer & trigger are Python/Diamonback-ish in appearance.
Cleanup internally reminded me how fussy Colt revolver internals are...(smile !).
I'm seeking help as to the vintage of the revolver, as I have zero Colt references.
S/N is 7611XX.
TIA,
jhicks

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jhicks:
Hello The Forum !
A new guy here, I've been dropping in from time to time and have learned a lot....
An Official Police in .38 spcl followed me home today. It is a LE trade-in piece that just intriqued me....it appears to have been a pistol team piece, I guess that is what did it, as I did a stint in PPC back in the dark ages (or so it seems). Someone fitted it with Micro front & rear sights and did a nice job of it. Hammer & trigger are Python/Diamonback-ish in appearance.
Cleanup internally reminded me how fussy Colt revolver internals are...(smile !).
I'm seeking help as to the vintage of the revolver, as I have zero Colt references.
S/N is 7611XX.
TIA,
jhicks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I just happened to be looking up the s/n of a Detective Special I bought yesterday in the Book of Colt Firearms by Sutherland and Wilson. I checked the Official Police section... It seems Colt started a new serial number range in 1948 at 760001. Your gun should be 1948 manufacture... according to them. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir, I do thank you. That helps a bunch.
I had the opportunity to test fire the revolver today. It does v e r y well.
jhicks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts