Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an interesting gun. Shipped to Italy in 1971, back here in the USA and still looks new.
Price is stiff. But I don't think I've ever seen a Commander in this caliber. Archive letter with it completes the package.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/715327767

Momma said Gunbroker is the devil........

·
Registered
162 Posts
FWIW: There were a few pistols that were not shipped to Italy or otherwise accepted. These pistols do not have the Italian proof marks. The proof marks were on the exposed part of the barrel visible at the ejection port and on the right side of the frame at the front of the trigger guard. The pistol on Gunbroker appears to be missing the acceptance marks (unless I simply cannot see them in the photos).
IMG_3607.JPG IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3610.JPG
There are two of these pistols within the collection I maintain and care for. One with and one without proofs. The pistol without proofs is only 2 numbers different from the one on Gunbroker.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mr Colt. Archive letter says 150 guns in shipment. Can I assume all those were same caliber?
Is the asking price for this in line with its value? Thing is so old yet so new looking even if I could buy it I don't think I could even bring myself to rack the slide on it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks Mr Colt. Archive letter says 150 guns in shipment. Can I assume all those were same caliber?
Is the asking price for this in line with its value? Thing is so old yet so new looking even if I could buy it I don't think I could even bring myself to rack the slide on it.
Dammit Jim! I'm a caretaker, not a collector!!!
That being said, the pistols in this collection were purchased years ago and according to the records of their purchase I would say the price for the one being auctioned is within reason.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
MrColt45,

As the letter indicates that this particular pistol was shipped to Italy...how would it have escaped the import markings from being applied?

Curious minds want to know..lol

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
As noted in the earlier post, I had always heard that there was an overrun of the Italian contract for the .30 Luger Commander and they were sold in the states. Maybe the factory notation shows the contract being shipped to Italy but eventually all were not. I really don't see the pistol missing inspection and proofing in Italy and then being shipped back out of Italy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
MrColt45,

As the letter indicates that this particular pistol was shipped to Italy...how would it have escaped the import markings from being applied?

Curious minds want to know..lol
JohnnyP answered the question.

Although the records I have do not definitively answer the question, I was told the same answer from the owner of the collection. There was an overrun of the pistols and they were sold here in the U.S.
One thing I did not mention in the earlier post was the footnotes I have indicate that there were 500 of these pistols produced. I do not know if that is accurate. The Colt letter shown on Gunbroker states that there were 150 guns in the shipment. Was there more than one shipment of 150 pistols?
As I pointed out earlier, the pistol listed on Gunbroker is only two digits different from the one in my possession that does not have acceptance marks.

No matter what, the pistol on Gunbroker is hard to find and appears to be in extraordinary condition.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I know back in the 40s when Colt was working on the Commander for the Army Tests for a new pistol which were later canceled they were working on a model in 30 Luger but it did not make it to market in 1949-1950 when Colt started selling the Commander to the civilian market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts