Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the Colt Forum but please be patient with me. I cannot access the Ithaca Forum because I get free email. He is my story. I purchased a Ithaca 1911 A1 from a friend of mine that has had it since 1970. His late uncle purchased it directly from the Ithaca factory in 1951. It is like new in the craft box serial numbered to the gun with 2 additional Colt magazines which is noted on the box top. Also included is a factory letter that says the pistol was made up from left over parts from WW 2 and may contain military markings which it does. P on the barell, the frame, and on top of the slide. FJA behind the trigger guard. All parts look new with no wear upon disassembly. AF on the front of the barrel bushing. No US Property or US Army. The letter states the cost with shipping was 44 dollars with the NRA discount. Now here is what is odd. It is painted black. But the rear of the slide shows parkerizing and so does the rear sight. Could this be to make it look more like a commercial pistol than a military one? I believe there is a parkerized finish under the black paint. It has new Keye

Attachments

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I have both of Walter Snyder's books on "The Ithaca Gun Company" and I do not recall any mention of Ithaca selling M1911A1 pistol post war, especially since the Gov't had Ithaca scrap all of their leftover parts.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
Ithaca ceased manufacture at war's end - their parts were scrapped, as mentioned above.

That one's been over-buffed, with a faked box and the small manual that wasn't in print at that time.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
The serial number "2169087" (from the "Ithaca Letter") looks like it is in a recessed area (a milled-out area) on the receiver. ?

2169087 is a 1945 Remington Rand (2134404 - 2244803) Serial Number.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
The magazines are not legitimate, look like second tier knock offs.
The magazine with the pistol isn't even a USGI magazine but one of the cheap copies. The two magazines, or extra ones, aren't either. The feed lips are not correct and witness hole pattern doesn't look right.
Everything looks too new and crispy, although items can be keep in pretty much "mint" condition, paper work has a tendency to yellow some over the years.
The Ithaca logo or "The Ithaca Gun Company" letterhead on the letter looks more like a late 1960's or later design. Not a 1950's letterhead, after snooping through my Ithaca books.

·
Registered
224 Posts
"purchased from a friend of mine............"

as they say, "with friends like that...................."

Reactions: stan3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A perfect example of two pieces of advice:

'Buy The Gun - Not The Story' and 'Buy Reference Books Beforehand And Actually Read Them'...

Doing this, you'll find that the advice will save a lot of money.
Pistol returned to previous owner. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No loss-but a lot of info gained with the help of the forum members here. Thanks!

Reactions: Hootch56

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
When this individual decides to try & unload that turkey on his next mark, tell them to retype the “factory letter”; they misspelled ‘Keyes’.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not that my opinion matters now, but the fake box would've turned me away from it right quick. I hate those fake boxes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts