Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse the photography, but had to scan these from photographs made before digital age.

Several years back one of the locals called me to look at an Ithaca he had bought at a show the previous weekend. This was about the time the pistols with fake markings started hitting the market, and it appears that they had an Ithaca with a replacement slide to copy. This one was so bad it seemed apparent that the buyer would have caught it, but he didn't. At first I didn't notice the serial number, but that is the highlight of the pistol.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Being one who is a big fan of the Ithaca shotguns, I've always had thoughts of getting an Ithaca M1911A1. I had heard of the fake pistols, but this one is almost as obvious as day or night.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Folks here would know better, but I think Poyer says the final inspection mark is stamped through the park, and will often show bright metal - like you had to look that far..LMAO

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Looks like they had a problem with spelling, too!
Bubba just had to sound it out....UNITE...TED. Looks like he just flat gave up on the crossed cannons. That looks like a wrist watch at 2 o'clock. And the 9 million serial range...well, he's heard there were millions of them.

It just makes you wonder what he was drinking or smoking.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Apparently Bubba succeeded in pulling the wool over someone's eyes with this one. Hopefully the buyer didn't get burned too badly.

It would be easy for me to criticize the person who purchased this, but that would make me a hypocrite. Up until a few years ago, all the Colts I bought were new. I still remember the first "old" Colt I bought... I thought I did so well, and it was only when I posted pictures of it here did I learn the error of my ways. It was an expensive lesson, and one I won't forget. I guess some of us learn the hard way.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An optical illusion caused by whether you see the light coming from the right or left side. If you see the light coming from the left side the figures look raised, but if coming from the right side they are below the plane. The light is coming from the right, but on the FJA acceptance mark from the left.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apparently Bubba succeeded in pulling the wool over someone's eyes with this one. Hopefully the buyer didn't get burned too badly.

It would be easy for me to criticize the person who purchased this, but that would make me a hypocrite. Up until a few years ago, all the Colts I bought were new. I still remember the first "old" Colt I bought... I thought I did so well, and it was only when I posted pictures of it here did I learn the error of my ways. It was an expensive lesson, and one I won't forget. I guess some of us learn the hard way.
Buyers get the wool pulled over their eyes every day. Some of the purchases are crudely done like the Ithaca while others are skillfully done, with the final result being the same.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Excuse the photography, but had to scan these from photographs made before digital age.

Several years back one of the locals called me to look at an Ithaca he had bought at a show the previous weekend. This was about the time the pistols with fake markings started hitting the market, and it appears that they had an Ithaca with a replacement slide to copy. This one was so bad it seemed apparent that the buyer would have caught it, but he didn't. At first I didn't notice the serial number, but that is the highlight of the pistol.

Noooo! I can't believe it, it's a joke!

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Items such as this one is a great example of that old adage "Knowledge is power". It may be just my opinion but, in the collector market, it seems as though there's always some dealer out there stating unequivocally that "this is 100% correct" when, in reality, it's a "mixmaster" or some other abnormality making it far from perfect. "Buyer beware"!

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, you are getting to see the markings highly magnified. To someone with not so good eyesight plus a lack of knowledge it might look perfectly normal.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Also, you are getting to see the markings highly magnified. To someone with not so good eyesight plus a lack of knowledge it might look perfectly normal.
Considering the lack of sufficient lighting in most places. I've bought and or traded for a few guns at shows and when you go outside in the sunlight things can take on a whole new perspective sometimes.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Johnny,
How about "the REST of the story"! What did your friend have to say after you burst his balloon. Mistakes happen and it's been my unfortunate experience to make a few....but only once. An expensive but indelible way to learn a lesson.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts